1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can I save my data? PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by new user!, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. new user!

new user! Thread Starter

so, howdy all! I first wish to say I must apoligize if my post is in the wrong place or if it has already been posted. I beg you fine people to be patient. :eek: I have a dell dimensions 8250 running xp home the comp has passed through several hands and is FULL of malware and viruses I was unaware of. (noob) as of right now every five minutes fatal error messages and the like are popping up, a visitor here last night went somewhere and now my comp is threating to crash! :mad: I have had the comp for two months and I have recieved a huge education in it`s operation by just searching it and the internet (how I found you) however the simplest things elude me (just learned to copy and paste! LOL!) MY PROBLEM: I have found the dell hard to navigate, in two months I could not find how to back up my files and now that may not be an option. DLL, exe and all other pertianat files are damaged beyond repair, (my guess) cannot do system restore, if the comp loses power I have to reboot 100 times to get my desktop (7 hours last time) I have ultra low cash dumping a ton of cash (or even a dime at the moment) is not a option I have a ME OS disk I tried to load it with a partition and migrate the files I wish to save no luck. I tried to load it over the xp home and keep programs setting and documents but couldent (was told it could be done). tried to add a second hard drive from another comp and migrate the data to be saved to the second hard drive so I could wipe the primary, if both are connected it reads no hard drives detected. diagnostics state 'fail return code 7' when the second drive is connected alone. tried to mail files to e-mail account no luck lol! tried system recovery disk and can`t find the location! tried to write files to disk and floppy but the disks are too small plus I am not sure if I can do it without missing key info. the files I wish to save are my pictures (all) my music (all) and a game file (AA) the game not so important, the music and pictures are in most cases ireplacable and took countless hours to accumulate. all I want to do is back up the files and wipe the hard drive and reinstall the files, sounds simple eh? well not so for me if the comp crashes I lose it all right now a key stroke takes a second or two to register if anyone can help me I would be the happiest guy in the world but remember I am quite nieve to comp operation binary is not in my vocabulary! lol! :) and so if you need more info please tell me and THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

You just cannot do it without owning some hardware or spending some money I'm afraid. We are good but not miracle workers.
    I would suggest buying an external hard drive, plugging into a usb port then right click and choose "send to" that drive and that is the easiest way. Should the drive fail, it could cost thousands of dollars to recover it so don't fool around here.

3. new user!

new user! Thread Starter

ya thanx, I was afraid that was the case. I planed on doing exactly what you suggested as it was the most realisitic solution. I am just worried my comp will give in the goat before I get the cash (soon) my limited knowlege falsely led me to believe that some more advaced user`s might have an option I had not discovered yet. At any rate I sincerly thank you for your feedback, two alarm windows popped up as I am writing this! lol,... I have resorted to leaving messenger and internet explorer open all the time as they may not open next time (LOL) so I will look for more info here soon! thanx!

new user! :)

4. new user!

new user! Thread Starter

PS will the virus and malware trasfer to the external drive?

5. new user!

new user! Thread Starter

also the second drive I refered to in the orignal post was in a fully operatioal computer and worked fine is the reason it does not work in the dell because it contains different cpu and hardware info than the dell? could I wipe it and it work as the external drive? (cicero pent 4 1.7 hrtzs 512 40gb) thank again

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Usually not in files and data but you can right click and scan any folder you want with antivirus program...however why not run some online scans and try to clean that up:
    www.eset.com
    www.ewido.net
    use the online scanners at each...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!