1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can i save my desktop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HSBeanBoy1, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HSBeanBoy1

HSBeanBoy1 Thread Starter

Bought a used HP desktop in Jan from a friend. It's approximately 4 years old but worked well up until last night. Everything was updatedand ran smoothly. My husband and I move our computer in to a different room in the house and now it won't work. The tower powers on and then the monitor will say "no iput" and that hangs aeound for a second before going in to sleep mode. It takes a lot to even get that to pop up. Husband messed with it all night and got nothing. This morning we bought a new input cord (the one that runs from tower to monitor and has screw things to put in place) and monitor and it is still doing the same thing. That leads me to believe that it is my tower that isn't working even though it appears to be. I bought a laptop today so i don't really care if the computer is workable, but i have 2 zip files of fonts that i purchased that i have to have and i have no idea if i can save them or will have to re buy them (expensive buggers). Any help is greatly appreciated! TIA.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    A few questions there
    Check the cable
    does not have any bent pins - its very easy to bend the pins in the VGA connectors

As this happened when you moved it - are you sure you have connected the cables to the correct sockets

Disconnect all the cables again
    just have the keyboard mouse and vga monitor cable connected
    try again

Can you hear the tower run and are there any noises - bleeps etc

You should be able to get the zip files off the tower - but that would mean taking the harddrive out , as the tower is not working

Post back if any of the pins are bent
    Do the minimal connections

Next would be to open the side panel and reseat any cables and modules - we can cover that when you post back

3. HSBeanBoy1

Thanks for the response. I checked the pins and they are not bent as far as I can tell..I've also disconnected everything except for power, rca, mouse, and keyboard cords. Everything is in correctly and still nothing. I don't hear the tower and i don't hear any noises from it either. Everything on it is lit up as it would normally be when powered on. I'm not getting anything on the monitor anymore, not even the "no input/going to sleep" . It's just black and acting as if it is turned off completely.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats lit up ?

5. HSBeanBoy1

This is what it looks lile when powered on.

Attached Files:

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is not uncommon for connections to work loose when you move a system. If you are comfortable working inside the case, do the following;
    1 System OFF and unplugged. Open the case and reseat ie unplug then plug in the atx and aux pw connectors to the mb. Note hp is very often proprietary and may not have the aux connector. Reseat the ram chips ie remove and replace making sure they are fully seated.
    2 Remove the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hard disk and optical. Just leave these disconnected for now
    3 If you have any add-in cards ie sound, nic/lan, etc, pull those out. Most hp stuff is onboard so you may not have any cards. If you have a real video card, make sure it is fully seated in the slot ie pull it out and reseat.
    4 Reinstall the pw cord. Now hit the ON button and see if you get a display ie the splashscreen or perhaps POST data. You will receive a msg to the effect that no hard disk found. If you do get the display, start connecting devices one at a time [pw ON between each one] to see if you have a failed part. If the mb will not POST in the above config, then you are going to have to start swapping parts ie pw supply, mb, ram, cpu to find the failed part.

7. HSBeanBoy1

I have never touched a computer for anything other than using my Cricut softwear. I'm afraid i will screw it up. Would it be possible to take it to a shop and get the zip files off of it? That's all i really care about at this point. I've already replaced the computer. Thank you for the help.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you can - they should be able to do that for - how much were the zip files for the fonts - I suspect a data recovery maybe more expensive
    see if they will put the drive into a USB caddy - that will be a lot cheaper and then you can plug thatinto the laptop and take the dataoff
    our local repair shop used to do that all the time for £40 on old XP PCs

But it maybe a very simple step - just to check everything is correctly seated
    and save a few bob

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sure. You can take it to a shop and have them pull the hard disk out. They can copy whatever you want and put it on a flash drive. Most shops would charge something like 1/2 to 1hr labor or $40~$80 for this service plus the cost of whatever media you want the data copied to ie flash drive, external drive, etc.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1167681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice