1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I save my desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tony007, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tony007

tony007 Banned Thread Starter

I was thinking if it was possible to save my desktop to a folder and then to a cd. Would I be able to reinstall it after a reformat and have all my ikons working as before or would the registry muck this up. Some of my ikons on my desktop are as follows: spybot,safe share,real arcade,anti-vir,usenext,clone dvd, etc. I have tried saving these to my flash drive and most of them will reinstall but not after a reformat. My os is xp home on a network with xp pro my hard drive is 80gb my cpu 2.4gh memory 256mb.Can anyone tell me how to make a backup without using norton ghost.Thank you. I am asking this as I've reformatted quite often recently due to a problem with system restore I am not the only one with this problem so I wish someone could solve this because I dont like being without system restore which the reformatt fixes for a while but then its back. Its tedius having to reinstall all my programs one by one.Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just copying an icon to the desktop will not make an app run. You must install the app. Instead of ghost, use acronis true image. A much better app for making images of your system.

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

IF you install all of your desktop apps to identical folders, and all of the icons are shortcuts, then you should be able to just copy the folder \Documents and Settings\{user name]/Desktop to a backup, and then restore the items from there.

The key is that the icons on the desktop are only shortcuts to the actual program. Thus, restoring the icon does nothing, without the corresponding program being installed.

4. robhic

robhic

First Name:
    Robert
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/421517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice