1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I send a CD track as an Email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by CuttingCrew, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew Thread Starter

Hi,

Is it possible to send a track from a music CD as part of an email?

CC

2. CuttingCrew

Hi,

Is it possible to send a track from a music CD as part of an email?

CC

3. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

No, If you look at a music CD in Windows EXplorer each track shows as 1K. Think of this file as more of a place marker or reference to the real file that is embedded in the music CD.

In order to extract the real file you will need some kind of CD ripper software program.

4. CuttingCrew

Hi NH

I have Nero installed is this the type of software I would need?

CC

5. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Yes it's possible.

It will depend on the allowed attachment size for you and the person you send it to.

Do you want to send the track as a wav file, an mp3 file, a wav file compress with rarsoft or other?

Do you want that file to automatically play when the person reads the email or do you just want it as an attachment.

File size will be the major issue.

6. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

You can virtually send anything by email. But size of the CD tracks are so hugh, that you will not be able to send it across by email.

You need to have that much space (about 70mb) with your mail account and the recepient should also have that much to receive it. Do you have that large mailbox and that much bandwidth allotted to you?

Theoratically it is possible. But it seems very unlikely that you have such hugh mailboxes and bandwidths!!

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Do a google search on CD ripper. There are a ton of them out there.

8. Moby

Moby

Nero will do it fine as will the standard windows media player version 7 and above.
    If you're stuck how to do it shout here again.
    :)

9. Moby

Moby

Just save the track in windows media player (version 7 and above) as a .wma file. It'll be nice and small, less than a MB per minute. You attach it to an e-mail as with any other file and any computer with windows will play it as long as you turn off the licencing bit in media player before saving the track.
    Average track length say 3 mins will be less than 3MB.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Cuttingcrew, I've merged both of your threads, please post in only one location ;)

11. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Even after ripping, are you sure the file will be small enough to send via e-mail? EVen if your and receipient's mailbox sizes are 10mb, check the upper limit imposed on the size of the attachment by your service provider.

You can use a file splitter to split the larger file and send one part at a time and combine all at the end.

But this takes a lot of time and effort. Is it worth it? You decide.

12. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

dBpowerAMP is a good freeware ripper. Go to http://www.dbpoweramp.com/download.htm . It converts Audio CD tracks into MP3, Wave or Ogg Vorbis format. I think there are other plugins available.

Size of the output varies on the selected options.

13. mad-martin

mad-martin

whether or not its possible, it is illegal to distribute copyrighted material

14. Moby

Moby

I forgot to mention that bit.
    ;)

15. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I use EAC to rip the audio.

I use Lame with the Razorlame front end to encode to mp3.

If you have any webspace with enough room, it would be easier to temporarily upload the file to your web space and just send the person a link. Then they can download it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165631