1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I setup Outlook 2003 with Microsoft Mail Post Office?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stranglehold, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stranglehold

stranglehold Thread Starter

I am upgrading lots of stuff here in the office, but I need to keep the inter-office email communications working between the old and the new.

We have a working system with Microsoft Mail Post Office that is located on a NT file server and can be administered from a win98 pc. We currently use this for inter-office email, and connect to the internet for all other email.

I am tring to configure Outlook 2003 to recognize the accounts in the post office using the Exchange Server. I am not able to get outlook to communicate.

The post office does not have a name, just a path to it. I put the path as the name of the Exchange Server and provided a valid User Name. When I "check name", I get an error. "The action could not be completed. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action." I get a similar message whe I run Outlook.

How can I get this configured right? BTW, I can see the network path to the PO Box and have a drive mapped.

New PC and OS is WinXP Pro

2. stranglehold

Anybody?

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Unless it is an add-on, I don't see Microsoft Mail listed as an option with Outlook2003 (like with previous versions). Seem to recall MS dropping the availability for it with that version. Newer is not always better.

4. stranglehold

That is not very good.

Can you recomend a basic email option for inter office messages? I know several are available that incorporate internet mail also, but I think I want to stick with outlook as the primary one. A very simple secondary program would be best, rather than something with more clutter.

I will do some research as I have time, but unfortunatly, I currently do not have much of that. :)

Thanks for the help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/302573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice