Can I split a active /home partition in half and mount the new free space to /backup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dwhswebhosti

Hello,

I have a system that only runs on root command prompts and needs to have the home partition (80 gigs) spit in half and the free 40 gigs to be mounted as /backup.

Anyone know how to do this? I can donate $50 if someone can help me step by step and it works. The system is live so it's important that it does not create any errors with the data in the /home directory currently.

Thanks!

Chaze

well depending on what you have availabe and what fs you are using..it can be done. ext2-3 is the easiest to do this with.

For two options you have http://www.gnu.org/software/parted , and if you are running a gui on the machine you can use the opensource clonish type thing of partition magic found here: http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/

Their documentation is far better then i could ever explain so.

Please note: i recommend backing up of all data before performing the repartitioning of the /home partition.

dwhswebhosti

Thanks for the help, I am not running a gui and it is very important that the current data is not compromised.

I am more asking if someone will give a step by step, command line wise.

One system is redhat 8 and one is redhat 9 in case there is difference between the two OS versions for doing this.

And I can Paypal you $50 directly for this if you like if it works correctly.

The best way is to actually do it, then paste the command history here. I know it will take time that is why I am willing to pay. It shouldn't take less then a hour to do and paste the details here so $50 for this is not too bad, plus you get experiance and appreciation. :)

Thank you,

Chaze

dwhswebhosti

Actually I was just informed that there is no stable way to do this.

Thanks anyways.

Chaze

dwhswebhosti

He he, actually I would pay more if was a stable option. I really need to add a /backup partition :(

Maybe if someone knows of a stable way but I was told that there are fators like the motherboards bios and hard drive file systems to factor in. Sounds risky.

But hey, can only do what you can do, I guess the Linux community will have to work on this area sometime. Since Windows can do this easily and it seems like a viable thing that shouldn't be eradicated.

well it can be done..

say you have 3 partitions on the system right now...

/
/home
and swap

you can copy /home to /random.

then if you remove the partition for /home, you can partition it into 2 seperate 40 gig partitions. Copy the information from your /random back over to home. I'd most likely do this from a livecd such as knoppix etc....

Yes. In order to do this safely, you really need a third partition big enough to hold the contents of the /home filesystem.

Spend the 50 bucks on a new hard drive.

Create a new partition on the new hard drive.

Copy the contents of /home to it.

Delete the partition(s) on the original drive, and then partition it as desired.

Copy /home from the newer drive back to the /home filesystem on the original drive.

dwhswebhosti

OK I see now, If i move the information and remove the /home partition I can split it. Thanks All,

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.