1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I stop internet History from being deleted?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by saltine_chicken, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. saltine_chicken

saltine_chicken Thread Starter

:)Hello!
    I need to know if there is a possible way to stop the internet history from being deleted? Can a password be put on it? Or maybe just removed and not visible?
    Thank you!

2. extons

extons

What web browser do you use for a start?!

3. saltine_chicken

internet explorer

4. extons

extons

Firstly, the web browsing history is not automatically deleted, it should still be unless you either do it manually, or you have a cleaner ie. CCleaner. Do you use anything to clear cookies, browsing history etc?

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

What's your operating system? XP Pro or Home? Vista Home?

6. Phantom010

OK, assuming you have XP Pro or Home,

Click on Start > Run > type regedit.

Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft

Right-click on Microsoft, select New > Key

Enter Internet Explorer

Right-click on Internet Explorer, select New > Key

Enter Control Panel

Right-click on Control Panel, select New > DWORD Value

In the right pane, enter History.

Double-click on History to change the DWORD Value from 0 to 1 to enable the restriction.

If you want the restrictions to apply to all users, navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

Right-click on Internet Explorer and select New > Key

Enter Control Panel

Right-click on Control Panel, select New > DWORD Value

In the right pane, enter History.

Double-click on History to change the DWORD Value from 0 to 1 to enable the restriction.

Reboot.

7. saltine_chicken

okay, I followed your directions until here...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
    ..at this point there is no internet explorer folder...am i supposed to make one like I did before?

Also what will this actually do? Make history undeletable? or put a password on history? what do you mean by 'to apply to all users'??

(p.s. I know that it doesn't delete on it's own - someone else deletes it and I want to prevent that) :)

Thanks so much for your help!

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The change Phantom describes only prevents deleting Internet Explorer history from within Internet Explorer. It doesn't prevent someone from using a program like CCleaner to delete history.

9. saltine_chicken

yes, thats what i need

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What do you need?

11. saltine_chicken

to stop people from deleting the history in internet explorer...

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There isn't a way without significant overall restrictions on the computer such as preventing the execution of any unauthorized application. If you're looking to monitor Internet activity, trying to prevent the deletion of history isn't the way to go about it.

13. Phantom010

The registry hack I've provided is quite enough for most people. Not all are computer wizards... The History delete button will be grayed out. So go ahead and try it. It's a very good start. Also, it won't be possible to delete the History when opening Favorites and clicking on History. When right-clicking, no delete button will show.

14. Phantom010

Yes. If Internet Explorer doesn't show, create the key, followed by Control Panel...

15. Phantom010

You can prevent users from installing software like CCleaner:

With XP Pro:

Click on Start > Run > type gpedit.msc

Computer configurations > Administrative templates > Windows Components > Windows Installer.

In the right hand pane you will see "Prohibit installs". Double-click and enable it.

In XP Home (or Pro):

To restrict users from installing software on one computer, you need to change permissions for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE Registry key.

Click on Start > Run > type regedit.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE. Right-click on SOFTWARE, click on Permissions..., and select the users you want to set permissions for. The SOFTWARE key's default settings include Full Control for CREATOR OWNER, SYSTEM, and the local Administrators group. These users can make changes freely; they can add and remove software, use applications that have entries in the SOFTWARE key, and modify permissions.

To prevent users in the Everyone group from installing new software without preventing them from using the software that the SOFTWARE key lists, you need to remove their Set Value and Create Subkey permissions. Change the Everyone group's permissions from Special Access to Read. Then, users in the group will have only Query Value, Enumerate Subkeys, Notify, and Read Control permissions.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/873241