1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I transfer photos from my saved photos on my computer onto my digital camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by armedtigercatt, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. armedtigercatt

armedtigercatt Thread Starter

My sister has photos of me in my bridesmaid dress that she took with her camera. I saved them on my computer.
    I am going out of town to see our family, and cannot take the computer, but want to show the pictures. I will have my camera.

I tried transferring the photos to my camera's memory card by changing their file names to the same type of name as the photos that were taken with my camera. They are displayed as DSCN0610, so I renamed the photos as DSCN0700 and so on. Then I put my memory card in the driver, (G drive) opened up the drive, opened the folder where the pictures from my camera were, and dragged the newly renamed photos into that folder.

I put the memory card back in my camera and hit the display button, and the message I am getting for the spots where those files are is "File contains no image data." :(

What did I do wrong? What do I do?

Information - My camera is a Nikon Coolpix.

2. slipe

slipe

Your method works with most cameras. My current camera is the first one I’ve owned that is picky about photos returned to the camera. Others would take any photo from any camera as long as it had a DOS filename. They also took edited files.

My current camera will not accept a photo that has been through Photoshop or any other editor. I have found that if I run it through the freeware Irfanview and uncheck all boxes in the JPG save dialog it will display the edited images from the card.

Once I strip the metadata and use the right filename, my camera will display any sized image from the card. But it will display only 1200 X 900 images from the permanent memory – they call it a clipboard. If stripping the metadata doesn’t work you might resample the imported files to the same size as your Nikon uses. The camera manual probably lists several images sizes it can use. I would do that in Irfanview so you don’t have to run it through two programs.

I haven’t run across a camera yet that won’t display images you upload. Some seem to take a little more experimentation.

3. Knotbored

Knotbored

I wonder if the problem is the file was resaved without the .jpg extention in the filename?
    The message indicated only the picture name DSCN0700 instead of DSCN0700.JPG

4. jls242424

jls242424 Banned

I've transferred pictures from my puter back onto the cameras memory card by simply highlighting the pictures and right click and "send to" your G drive. Just make sure your memory card can hold the amount of info your transferring. You shouldn't need to renamed the photos as DSCN0700.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/customize-the-windows-vista-send-to-menu/

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1242670014074814000.jpg

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1242670087010965100.jpg

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1242670175089313900.jpg

5. jls242424

jls242424 Banned

6. armedtigercatt

Well, the first one I renamed I put the .jpg on it, but it only was named with the DSCN7000. But when I looked in the properties and all it said it was a jpg file.

I really don't know that much about digital photos but that sounded right to me.

7. armedtigercatt

Thank you I will try that then. What is metadata?

8. armedtigercatt

Okay, I tried that freeware program, and while I was able to resize a pic to the settings for my camera, it still says image not available when I try to look at it on my camera. When I saved it, I hit the save icon, then I made sure it was on .jpg, and I unchecked all those little boxes at the bottom... there were 3 of them.

I resized the image and set it to the same resolution. Could it be that the EXIF information is not the same?
    For instance, the pics I have that are taken with this camera have this EXIF information.
    File name DSCN0320
    File Location G:\DCIM\101NIKON
    fILE sIZE 1,536,641
    FILE FORMAT JPEG
    DIMENSIONS 2816 X 2112
    FILE COLOR SPACE YCBCR
    PIXEL FORMAT 24 BIT
    RESOLUTION 300 X 300 DPI

CAMERA MODEL COOLPIXL11
    CAMERA MANUFACTURER NIXON
    SENSOR TYPE ONE CHIP COLOR AREA SENSOR
    FOCAL RESOLUTION UNIT
    FOCAL X RESOLUTION
    FOCAL Y RESOLUTION
    SOFTWARE COOLPIXL11 V1.0

35MM EQUIVALENT NOT DEFINED
    EXPOSURE TIME 1/60 SEC
    EXPOSURE BIAS EVO.O
    EXPOSURE PROGRAM NORMAL
    F NUMBER F2.8
    FOCAL LENGTH 6.20 MM
    MAX APERTURE F3.0
    SHUTTER SPEED
    ISO SENSITIVITY 64
    METERING MODE PATTERN
    WHITE BALANCE AUTO
    FLASH FIRED

EXIF VERSION 0220
    TITLE
    ARTIST
    COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT 2006
    DESCRIPTION
    COMMENT
    DATE TIME 4/27/2008 9:58:33PM
    AUDIO FILE
    DATE TIME ORIGINAL 4/27/2008 9:58:33PM
    DATE TIME DIGITIZED 4/27/2009 9:58:33PM
    PAGE NUMBER
    ORIENTATION TOP-LEFT
    RESOLUTION UNIT INCH
    X RESOLUTION 300DPI
    Y RESOLUTION 300DPI
    GAMMA
    COLOR SPACE sRGB
    SAMPLES PER PIXEL
    BITS PER SAMPLE

But the ones I am trying to put on there only have the first set of information, from file name to resolution. If this could be it, anyone know if there is a program where I can put that information on there?

9. slipe

slipe

Metadata is the EXIF, IPTC, comments etc that are data files attached to the image. If you don’t check any boxes there would of course be no EXIF to relay to us, so you are doing something different.

With the image displayed in Irfanview - File > Save As. You will get this dialog box. If you uncheck all the boxes you will strip the metadata. Most cameras will also not take a progressive JPG, so that should also stay unchecked. I would “Save As” to a different folder and keep the original image untouched.

Attached Files:

10. slipe

slipe

If you really need the EXIF on the images you send to your camera you might try this: http://www.geosetter.de/en/index.html The ExifTool it uses for modifying the EXIF is probably the best tool available. But ExifTool is script and GeoSetter probably has an easier interface with it. GeoSetter is the replacement for Exifer, which is what most people used.

But you are going to have to experiment to find out exactly what your Nikon will take. If you don’t overwrite your original image I don’t understand why you would need all that information just to view an image on your camera.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/828059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice