1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I uninstall Win 95 & install 98??

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Calhoun, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Calhoun

Calhoun Thread Starter

I`ve got an older Compac PC Can I uninstall Windows 95 & install Windows 98 without installing 95. I don`t have a driver for the hard drive, anyhelp thanks Calhoun

2. slipe

slipe

You can upgrade it just fine. If you have an older version of Win95 be sure to convert to FAT 32.

You don’t need drivers for the HD, but the Compaq restore CD has other drivers you need. I would clean out the system by backing everything up and running the restore CD before upgrading to Win98. That will give you a clean Win95 installation to work from.

3. RandyG

RandyG

I have heard some people mention that you need to install 95 before using the upgrade to 98, but I can tell you that is not necessary, unless there is a different version of Win98SE upgrade out there. IF you go through the entire process of formatting your drive, then get a boot disk with CD-Rom drivers on it for Win 98 from www.bootdisk.com, insert floppy and cd, when floppy gives you an option of a or c drive, change to your cd-rom and type in setup

Win 98 will start to install, but will ask you to pop in your Win95 cd for verification purposes. IOT will then proceed to install the entire OS without having to have a Win95 backbone.

4. RandyG

RandyG

I received a PM from Calhoun:

Do you mean that you would lose the data you have? That is true with a format, but is the best way to clear all extraneous data off your system.
    How were you planning on removing Win95?

You can boot to C: prompt, type ren c:\windows c:\winold, hit enter. Pop your Win98SE upgrade Cd in the CD tray and reboot. It wouldn't hurt to have a Win 98 bootdisk created from the website I recommended in the thread. If you boot from Win98 CD, then you chould be prompted to boot from CD or Hard drive. Select CD, and the setup process will begin. Make sure that you install in C:\windows and not winold.

If you use the boot disk, then after booting up, with CD-rom support, you would go to your cd drive and type in setup or install.

I'm going to copy this to the thread so anyone else can assist as well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice