1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I upgrade a USB1 port to a USB2port?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Heinrich, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Heinrich

Heinrich Thread Starter

Help is needed,
    I have an older but perfectly working Pentium 4 Laptop with 4 x USB1 ports and 2x PCMCIA ports. I now purchased a Wireless 802.11G Network Adapter and also a 4 in one Canon printer/copier/fax and scanner.
    I am now told the ports do not support the scanner function from the new Canon printer nor the new Wireless network adapter. Is there anyway where I can upgrade the ports to USB2.0 via software or would a netgear PCMCIA Wifi Card work on my older Laptop?
    Your help is much appriciated.
    Heinrich

2. cg2028

cg2028

There is no way to upgrade a 1.0 to a 2.0 via software because it is a hardware factor. When you look for a wifi card, check to see that it is compatible with usb 1.0. most hardware that works on 2.0 is usually compatible 1.0 but slower

3. arknorth

arknorth

BUT, you can ADD USB2 ports - Belkin does make a PCMCIA card with USB2 jacks, but the thing is, if you have the PCMCIA slots available, why not just get a PCMCIA wireless NIC card? Not only are they a bit faster than a USB wireless adaptor, they are a whole sight tougher and less prone to being snapped off like those USB beasties.

BTW - Canons also tend to want to use Bluetooth when working wirelessly. How are you hooking this thing up?

A-N

4. Heinrich

Heinrich Thread Starter

thanks arknorth, someone did offer me a netgear PCMCIA Wifi card. I just have to find out the specs of it. It may just solves my problem. As to my Canon printer, it is a MX300 type and I use a Belkin USB cable. It is only the scanner that does not work via the USB1 port. Will come back once I have more details. thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice