1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I upgrade my Gateway Desktop GM5420?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DKaplin540, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKaplin540

DKaplin540 Thread Starter

Ok, so I am curious on if I can upgrade computer but here is the whole story. I have a Gateway desktop GM5420 that I have had for about 7ish years now. I play MMORPGs such as Everquest 2, WoW, and Diablo 3. I used to be able to play all three of these games just fine with ok graphics until about a year ago. It was probably a few months or so after I installed and started playing Diablo 3. I started experiencing issues while playing any of the games on my computer. I would sign on and after a short while the screen would go black and I would have to reboot the whole computer. Somedays it wouldn't happen and others almost after a few minutes of the game loading. This even started happening on games like The Sims 3 and little slot machine programs. Then it went black and never came back. :) After my computer slept for months and months I decided to have a computer guy test out my graphics card (GeForce 7900GS DDR3 256MB PCI-E) to see if that was the issue. It turned out that was the case and so I went online looking for a new one. I chatted with some GeekSquad guy online and he sent me off to Bestbuy where I worked with the guy there who helped me pick out a new card (GeForce GT 610 GC 2GB DDR3 PCI-E) and power source (TR2 600W). Hooked it all up and the computer came back to life. The only thing is that it was slower and even more pathetic then ever. I fooled around with it for awhile and eventually reformated the whole thing and installed Windows 8. That made it a little better but still not like it was before the card crashed.

So basicly these are my questions and I'm looking for the most cost effective route.

A) Is it the new graphics card that bought just not living up to my expectations?
    B) Would it be possible to upgrade processor to speed things up a bit?
    C) Should I just break up with GM5420 and go for a younger model?

Computer Specs:

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2CPUs), ~1.9GHz
    Chipset - Intel G965
    Memory - 4.00 GB (3.50 GB usable)
    Hard Drive - 320 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA II hard drive
    Vidoe Card - GeForce GT 610 GC 2GB DDR3 PCI-E
    Power Source - TR2 600W
    Operating System - Windows 8 32bit, x64 - based processor

Thank you :eek:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Gateway GM5420 desktop originally came with Windows Vista installed.

It has an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86 GHz processor and supports up to 8 GB of DDR2 PC2-5300(DDR2-667) RAM.

Switching to Windows 64-bit to take advantage of 8 GB of RAM and switching to a faster processor are some options - if the motherboard is processor upgradeable.

I'm not a hardware expert nor a hard-core gamer, so my advice is pretty limited.

---------------------------------------------------

3. replay

replay

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is it slower for gaming or in general?

For gaming that would make sense as you were sold a graphics card that's as far away from gaming as you can get for a modern card, and lower then your older 7900GS while trying to render games at higher quality and DX11 since its a newer card but with less overall processing power: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+610
    Or here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
    The GT 610 isn't on that list but the GT 520 is and the GT 610 is just a rebranded GT 520 so same general performance.

If overall performance you may want to check to see the system is overheating: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

A CPU upgrade is possible would help performance but you'd have to do some research to find a compatible model that's still available and solid answers are hard to find for OEM systems, but it sounds like a Q6600 may work from the above link with the latest Gateway BIOS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice