1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can i upgrade my processor on my compaq presario Sr1960Ap?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gordon1212, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gordon1212

gordon1212 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I need some help with my compaq on whether i could change my processor to a better one.
    i have done some upgrades myself by changing the ram to 2gb and the graphics card to a ati 5670 and the power supply to a 560w.

Heres the link to the computer info:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...foCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3330128

I would also like some suggestion on a cpu that is a mid-high range processor thks!

2. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    Hey, Welcome to Tech Support Guy :)

Your motherboard is Socket 775 i could recommend either getting a high end duel core or a Quad core processor. However Socket 775 is starting to get replaces by the newer models LGA1156 and 1366. How it would be fine for a present upgrade. though if you intend on upgrading in the future again you will need to buy a new board (Most likely).

Some Suggestions

Quad Core: http://www.austin.net.au/ProductList/ProductDetail/tabid/104/ProductCode/CPU-INT-Q8400/Default.aspx

Duel Core: http://www.austin.net.au/ProductList/ProductDetail/tabid/104/ProductCode/CPU-INT-E8400/Default.aspx

However i'm no expert i'm just giving you what i think is correct.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Because a processor uses the same socket does not mean that you can use any socket 775 processor in your machine.

The Pentium D925 processor in your machine used 65nm architecture (Presler core) and the processors that were recommended i.e. Q8400 and E8400 are totally different architecture. The Q8400 is 45nm architecture (Yorkfield core) and the E8400 is also 45nm architecture but uses a different core (Wolfdale core).

I looked at the HP/Compaq site and could not find a list of supported processors for your machine, but I feel sure that neither the Q8400 or the E8400 would be supported. If you can't find a list of supported processors at the HP/Compaq site you would need to call HP/Compaq and ask them exactly what processors are supported for your machine.

4. gordon1212

Okay so i figured i would need to change a new mobo to get a more worth while upgrade and thus which type of mobo would be recommended for my psu, gpu and most likely i would need to increase my ram.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you are planning to upgrade to a new motherboard and Processor, you will also need to purchase an Operating System if all you have is the OEM OS that came with the Presario. ALso you would need to be sure that the Mobo you purchase is going to fit the Presario Case.

6. gordon1212

By buying a new motherboard and processor is just that all i would have to purchase, as the os would be in the hard disk that i would be transferring to another rig. By phone activation it is a good reason to say that i am changing my motherboard.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is this a retail OS or an OEM OS? If OEM then even by Phone Activation it would not work as the OS is custom designed for the Motherboard it was originally installed on ie the Compaq. If it is a retail OS then you can install it on any computer (Motherboard) you want to so long it is only installed on a single computer at a time.

8. gordon1212

It is the oem os but i have gotten a free upgrade to win vista that did not come with the computer when i gotten it

9. gordon1212

so is the os that i have gotten contain the full vista home premium in it>

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    WHere did you get the Upgrade from?

11. gordon1212

And btw dusty this is just a old computer i got the upgrade from windows of course they sent it to me. It was a win xp computer but upgraded to a vista home premium.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows is a product, not a company, place or store. Microsoft is a company. If you purchased a computer with Windows XP already installed, it is an OEM license which only allows it to be installed on that motherboard. It cannot be transferred. Regardless of where you purchased the upgrade, that license is tied to the full version OEM license which is still tied to the old computer.

Unless you purchased a full retail version of an operating system (not an OEM, not an upgrade), you can't install it on another computer.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What, DoubleHelix said is where I was going,

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

Here is a direct quote from the Microsoft OEM question and answer site regarding changing your motherboard.

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by that End User Software License Terms. The End User Software License Terms is a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice