1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I upgrade my processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrFantastic, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrFantastic

MrFantastic Thread Starter

One thing I've never upgraded by myself is my processor, but I'd like to learn how.

I have an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (1.82 GHz) installed in my desktop, and I'd like to be able to upgrade it to a 3GHz+ processor. Can this be done? How? Which processor would be most recommended for this action?

Let me know if more infor is required.

2. Sponsor

3. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

It's not hard at all. If you do it, make sure you buy a new retail processor. Who makes your machine? How much do you have to spend on one?

4. MrFantastic

It's not a name brand machine. It's a mix of parts installed over a couple years. :)
    I have about $200 to spend on a new processor.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

well the processor is one thing but we would need to know what motherboard you have to tell you if you can go with a 3000+ processor (which doesnt run at 3 ghz by the way)
    An AMD Athlon XP 3200+ only runs at 2.2Ghz.

6. MrFantastic

I don't know what kind of motherboard it is. I've had a look at it, and can't see any distinguishing marks. :(

I said 3 GHz+ (as in 3 gigs or more), not 3200+ (as in the model). :)

7. photolady

photolady

Saying 3ghz won't make it so if you stay with AMD. To get that high you'd have to go with a new motherboard and processor, as in 64bit.

Now the other thing I have to say is, Everest will tell you what motherboard you have in there. Follow the link below:
    http://www.cybertechhelp.com/download/file/everest-home-edition

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm guessing that a two year old machine will limit the amount of performance a new processor will yield. Also, it's quite possible, depending on the total configuration and the usage, that the processor isn't your most pressing issue.

Why don't you tell us about the complete configuration, and what kind of usage you have, and perhaps we can be more constructive.

9. MrFantastic

Here's my system info (thanks for that Everest link!) :)

[​IMG]

I use the computer for just about everything, but my main reason for upgrading is for gaming. Many of the newer games out there have minimum req's of 2GHz and recommend 3GHz.

10. photolady

photolady

What that tells us is you have a Socket A (462) board. To go faster processor, my suggestion is build a 64-bit system. I'm not sure where you live but around this area, we're having problems getting socket A boards anymore. And the 64-bit will have the speeds you need for gaming.
    One other bottleneck will be your graphics card. That 9600 is low end for gaming.

11. MrFantastic

So, in short, the answer i'm looking for is "no". :(
    Looks like I have more on my plate than just a new chip. I'd have to get a new motherboard, and probably a new tower, etc, along with it. Do you imagine that I'd be able to take my comp apart, remove the motherboard, install the new motherboard and reconnect all chips/ cards, etc without any problems? Or do you recommend I just let a comp shop do it? i.e. is it just a matter of replacing and reconnecting, or is it more involved than that?

btw, my video card has served me well for a long time, but it was next on the list after the processor.

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The 2500+ was a great overclocker. If you had access to a stick of DDR 400 ram you could most likely just install it, go into the bios and raise the FSB to 200 which would put you to DDR 400 speeds or in other words it would run as a 3200+.

Other than that, new everything time.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can still use your case, hard disks, optical drives, etc. You may need a new P/S if you go for a higher performance CPU/MB/Graphics card, depending on what you currently run.

14. MrFantastic

Thanks for all the help, everyone. JohnWill, what is a P/S? Do you think I'd run into difficulty replacing the CPU/MB? Is it a question of plug this there and that here, or would I have to fiddle with anything else (like BIOS, etc.). Pardon my ignorance. :)

15. brite750

brite750

just go into bios and set fsb to 400 from 333, if your cpu is unlocked it will run as an XP3200+, really it works. If your cpu is locked it will just boot back to the bios and tell you to set it back to 333, dont bother with the ram until you see if cpu is unlocked or not, although my sons pc is running fine with a 2500+ set at 400fsb with pc2700/333 ram in it. If it boots up fine after you set to 400fsb, watch temps to see that they stay within normal range.
    ps yes saddly my 2500+ is locked I already tried it with mine, didnt work

16. brite750

brite750

my sons 2500+ runs fine with pc2700 in it, set at 200/400fsb even wcpuid reads it as a XP3200+/400 barton

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/453568