1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I upgrade my processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Majinalchemy, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Majinalchemy

Majinalchemy Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension E520 Desktop PC.

I currently have a -

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz.

I want to know if I can upgrade this, and what socket type I have/need.

(Is LGA 775 good? Because I found a good one at that.)

2. Sponsor

3. replay

replay

4. Satsumomo

Satsumomo

5. replay

replay

6. Majinalchemy

Majinalchemy Thread Starter

7. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

That will work but it's not really an upgrade. You can't just go by the GHz size. That one is an older generation core and has a 800 MHz front side bus. The chip you have uses a 1066 MHz FSB.
    Here's a great deal on an E6600: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115003
    2.4 GHz, 4MB cache and 1066 FSB. You will notice a difference with this chip.

Your system can run any of the Core2 Duos up to 1066 FSB, as you can see on the page that replay linked to. (y)

Here's a chart comparing the Core2 Duo processors:
    http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2duo/specifications.htm?iid=prod_core2duo+tab_spec

Just click "view desktop processor specifications". It won't link directly for some reason.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

I suggest you speak with Dell regarding which processor would be compatible with your board.
    In the last few months Intel has introduced quite a few new processors and certain sSpec numbers are only compatible with certain BIOS revisions.

Dell of course uses a proprietary BIOS, and unless Dell has a BIOS revision for your machine that specifically covers the processor you are interested in using, it MAY not work with Dell's BIOS.

For instance your board has a G965 chipset. Just as an EXAMPLE, I chose a board at Intel that has the same chipset (the Intel DG965RY) and looked at the supported processors for that board. If you go here;

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dg965ry

you can see the supported processors. Please notice the caveat at the top of the page, i.e.
    ! Compatibility details differ per processor revision.

Now click on the black triangle next to the E6300 and you can see on this board it supports both the SL9TA and SL9SA processors with an Intel BIOS of 0816. Now click on the black triangle next to the E4600 and you will see that processor (sSpec # SLA94) is supported, but with a BIOS of 1698. Your board would not run that processor UNLESS DELL HAS AN EQUIVILENT OF THE INTEL 1698 BIOS AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD.

Before you start just buying a processor you need to check the Dell BIOS downloads and see if they have a BIOS update available that covers the processor you intend to install. YOU ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY CANNOT USE AN INTEL BIOS UPDATE ON A DELL PROPRIETARY BIOS.

Check carefully so that you don't wind up buying a processor that is not going to work with your machine. Many times manufacturers such as Dell and others don't update their BIOS's since they are not interested in you being able to update your machine.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/655603