1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I upgrade my Processor ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SmokinHope, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SmokinHope

SmokinHope Thread Starter

Hi, can anyone tell me if I can upgrade my processor in my laptop? I have an emacines E625 with cpuTF20, 2gb Ram, 160 gb harddrive, Processor AMD Athlon(tm) Processor TF-20, 1600 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
    If it matters I currently run windows Vista Home Basic. I would like to upgrade to a dual processor if possible? Very slow playing games. Any help is appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Sheila :)

2. Soundy

Soundy

Almost all laptops, the CPU is soldered to the board and is NOT upgradeable.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

...and even if it were, upgrading a processor is almost always a complete waste of time. The processor is only one part of the things that determine a machine's speed and having done an upgrade twice, I can tell you that it makes almost no difference to a machine's overall functionality, even when the CPU speed is doubled.

Manufacturers tried to get people to stop looking at CPU speed as a way of determining machine speed. They developed many different measures of speed, such as the Floating Point Operations Per Second, and many more subjective ones. All of them express machine speed better in comparisions between machines than the CPU speed. But consumers are obsessed with CPU speed and always use it as a speed measure, so they have largely given up on that idea.

Nevertheless, you can still keep it in mind. The best way to decide what machine to get is probably to try your favorite games and programs on it and see how they run. Not always practical perhaps, but the real test of that sequence of components that you will use the most and how well they operate together.

4. Soundy

Soundy

From what I could find on that laptop, it was available with two processor options: the single-core TF20, and an Athlon64 X2 dual-core TK42... both running at the same speed. So even if you COULD swap the processors, there's only one other that that system would support, and it wouldn't give you any additional speed, just a bit more processing power for software that's designed to take advantage of it.

It WILL support up to 4GB RAM, so upgrading your RAM may help some things run smoother... however, your biggest limitation here will be the Radeon Xpress 1200 graphics chipset, which is a "budget" graphics chip and really not suitable for gaming.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    RUnning Vista Home Basic is a problem. It is a dog. If you could upgrade to Home Premium it would help the laptop run smoother and quicker in my experience.

6. Irukku

Irukku

Also, the dual cores don't necessarily gain 100% performance over their single-core match ups, only about 30%.

Pwn your Vista if you actually wanna see that laptop running smooth, lol. Anything but Vista.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice