Can I upgrade OS on presario 5461

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KarenBBLBTJM

I gave my old computer to my daughter a while back. It is a Presario 5461. She got some new programs for Christmas which require Windows 2000, NT,ME or XP. Between my husband and I and my business we own all 4 OS. I tried the upgrade last night to 2000 and got messages that the some things may not be compatable. The CD gave links to Microsoft pages that are no longer there for updated drivers etc. before I walked down this path further I wondered if an upgrade is possible and if so what system is the best pick. I realize that some of her old educational software may not run on an upgrade, but since she is turning 9 she is outgrowing all the old stuff in rapid order and none of the new software will run on W98.

Of course the second question is whether it is worth while - or whether I need a plan B.

She wants to use Microsoft Publisher. The only games we allow in at the moment are things like Math Blaster, Jump Start, learning company stuff, etc.

Opinions?

You could get stung with the drivers problem eg modem, graphics etc. The machine is built for 98 so ME and maybe 2000 at a push. XP means missing out 2 O/S's and I would not do it if that was my machine, (hada major problem with a modem after doing that a few years back, very expensive as it wa a lappy). The question I would ask myself is does my child really need a newer O/S? I am a great beleiver in "if it's not broke, don't fix it". Hope this helps all the best Nige

KarenBBLBTJM

The only reason I am considering an upgrade would be for her to use software - which is not supported by W98. I could of course let her use my machine for those applications, but that defeats the purpose of having her own machine where I don't realy care how she experiments and she can "work" while I work.

We have DSL so I don't care if the modum works. Do care if there is a problem with audio and video boards.

Karen

The modem was just an example of what can happen. Whne you try to upgrade it shows what will not work, so then pressing the button is your choice. Sorry if I'm not giving you the info you require. All the best Nige

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Karen:

These are the processor and RAM specs for that computer that I obtained from the HP/Compaq site:

Processor: 500 MHz AMD-K6-2 with 3DNow technology

System memory: 64 MB, 100 MHz SyncDRAM, shared memory architecture, three total DIMM slots upgradable to 384 MB - 8 MB dedicated for video memory (SyncDRAM DIMM required)

Even if you were to add enough RAM to get it up to its fully-supported amount of 384 MB, the processor type and speed would be the big performance bottleneck for getting Windows XP to run properly and not run like a slug.

If your daughter wants to use newer programs and hardware, she needs a newer computer. You'd be surprised at how much computer $600.00 - $800.00 can buy these days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have XP running properly on a 233mhz P2 processor. Now, admittedly that is on a desktop with around half a gig of ram

KarenBBLBTJM

The computer already has 256K. I really only need Windows 2000, but I am gathering I need to go to plan B.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Personally, I'd go to "plan B". A new low-end computer will be much faster and have new and better hardware.(y)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts