1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can I use 2 routers to extend wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by metallica5456, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    is there any way I can use a cisco ea3500 and then use my netgear WGR614 as a wifi extender??

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have a WGR614v5 and know that it does not have the Repeater or Range Extender feature. Best you can do with it is connect by ethernet and use it as a WAP.

3. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    mine is a v9?? how would I use the ethernet feature you described?? and how would I know if it has an repeater function ?? as a WAP, i have to run a physical cable from the cisco to the netgear right??

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You would learn how to use it by consulting the User Guide and/or you would find the setting(s) for it somewhere in the configuration pages. :)

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

5. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    thanks I'll give it a shot....am I only going to be able to use it as wifi extender or could I possibly connect a hardwire to it also??

6. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I also have a Cisco 877W (doe sit have repeater function??) but I cannot figure out how to access it. It like a business type router I got from my work they upgraded so gave me this one. any idea how I could access it?? its got a 4 port area and then one for ADSL and then one marked "console" on it??

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you mean that you are going to use it per the JohnWill recipe, yes you can connect to its (other) LAN ports and/or by Wi-Fi.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know anything about the Cisco 877W.

9. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    :( Maybe zx10guy or etaf will jump in here with some extra wisdom on the Cisco 877W?? Thanks Terrynet for all your wondeful help thus far!!

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome, Andrew. :)

11. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The 877W runs what is called Cisco IOS. The 877 is part of their ISR line up of routers. The syntax of how IOS works is pretty much the same across all of Cisco's products which run IOS. It's a good router to get started in the world of Cisco. But it's a steep curve. My suggestion is if you want to learn IOS is to go out and buy the two volume CCNA exam prep books. The setup for the routers do have a web interface which I think is called SDM. I've never used the SDM. And most people who configure Cisco routers never use any GUI type interfaces....just command line. To access the web interface you have to know what the IP address(es) configured on the router. Short of that, you can use the console port. This is a serial interface which you'll need a DB9 to RJ45 cable to connect to. If none of your PCs have a 9 pin serial interface, you'll have to get a USB to serial converter. You'll also need some sort of terminal software to access the Com port of your PC which you have the console cable connected to (serial or USB to serial). In the old days, many people used HyperTerminal but most use Putty today.

The last hurdle you'll have to get into the router from the command line is to enter login credentials. You might have to enter user login and password and then an enable password, or just an enable password, or just a user login and password. It really depends on what the configuration of the router is currently. But you need to get to what is called privileged mode which is what the enable password is. You can tell which mode you're in by looking at the prompt. If it is a > then you're just in a very basic access mode. If the prompt is # then you're in the privileged mode.

I don't know if the 877W has extender capabilities. Of all the Cisco devices I've been able to lay hands on, I never touched any of their wireless equipment.

12. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    well I reset it (supposedly) by using the little pinhole switch....what kind of cable do I need for the "console" port?? and will telnet work?? and what is "Putty"?

13. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Yes. The reset button scrubs the current config and puts the router back to factory defaults.

The cable you would need for console access is something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-72-33...144?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4617bebde8

Telnet will work if the router is configured to accept Telnet sessions. Also, the router can also support SSH sessions but this will probably depend on the firmware running on the router. Cisco has different firmware versions depending on the features you've purchased and where the router is going to be physically installed. Why where the router is going to be physically installed is important because of US export rules. Cryptography over a certain level is prohibited from being sent to overseas to certain countries. When you get into the router, you can quickly determine if you have the higher cryptography firmware by looking at the firmware file stored in flash memory. If the firmware filename has a K9 in it, you have the higher cryptography version.

Putty is a terminal software which supports Telnet, SSH, serial console, and some other types of connections. As I said, it's one of the most widely used terminal software for command line access to devices. Just do a Google search for it and you'll see the download link.

14. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
  15. valis

valis Moderator

re-opened per request.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1115439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice