Can I use a Firewall with these routers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AnyShadow

Most of my clients have Zyxel routers (really a ADSL modem/router combination) and have only Network Address Translation to shield them from the Internet

I have already installed ZoneAlarm on all client PCs, but am more concerned about protecting their file servers.

Can I put hardware firewalls behind these routers without any problems? Or, do I have to replace the Zyxel modem/routers with ADSL modems?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about several clients, each at different locations, and each with their own ADSL connection.

Also, which hardware firewalls do you recommend for small businesses?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
There's no reason you can't use a software or hardware firewall to protect the servers.

AnyShadow

I have gone with the Modem->Hardware Firewall approach.

Overall speed seems a little better, and router configuration (to properly let the hardware firewall handle VPN) became more trouble than it was worth.

You can put a firewall anywhere with only rare exceptions of it causing problems. In industry, the common practice is to have a firewall after a router.

If you really want help you should upload a network diagram so we can see where the router, file servers, and clients are located.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!