1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I use a recovered System Restore point file to restore missing sw crashed laptop?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BooBoo2011, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BooBoo2011

BooBoo2011 Account Closed Thread Starter

My Lenovo T60 crashed and was not able to be repaired. I do not know what caused my laptop to crash, but according to the PC Tech, the hard drive was reformatted. To be honest, I am here in the Philippines and did not bring my recovery disks with me & I am not so sure about the technical ability of the PC Tech.

That being said, he installed Windows XP Professional on my laptop and partitioned my hard drive. I have a 250 GB Western Digital HD. Before my laptop crashed, the drive was NOT partitioned. After the installation, I now have two drives, C, with 40 GB and D, with about 200 GB.

I lost a lot of photos and music, and other important documents. I decided to try to recover some of these files and used Recuva. The good news is that a lot of missing documents can be recovered. While listing the files and looking at them, I noticed that I had several System Restore points that I can recover.

My question is, can I use the most recent System Restore point that I recover and use that to reinstall all the missing software? I had MS Office 2007 Professional, MS Visio 2007, MS Project 2007, and other software that I do not have the installation disks with me.

From what I have read, System Restore will reinstall the system (registry, files, and software only) and not the My Documents folder.

If this can work, where do I put the system restore file? If need be, I can delete the new partition and resize the C partition, restore, and then repartition the hard drive afterwards.

Any ideas, recommendations, or warnings? I would really like to get my missing software back as I had a lot of project management, programming, and other software that will be hard to find and/or reinstall.

Thanks!!!

Here is my info:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon X1300, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 40000 MB, Free - 16879 MB; D: Total - 198472 MB, Free - 189720 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, 2613CTO, Not Available, VF0NS6BE193
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2011, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. bp936

bp936

Since you already lost everything, try the System restore but first backup everything Recuva found onto a USB key. If your version Windows was not the same what the tech installed, it might not work. Also, he should have first ask you what to do with your files before formatting.
    Otherwise you will have to wait till you can re-install everything.

3. BooBoo2011

BooBoo2011 Account Closed Thread Starter

Thanks!!! I will try that!!!

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You're lucky to have found so many personal files but the instlaled software on the previous installation is gone forever. Also, the System Restore details you found and might recover are not Restore Points the new installation will recognise and activate in the normal use of SR.

There may be a Command Prompt method you could make to point rstrui.exe to those files but I can't work out how to do that. I believe they are no longer any use.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice