1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I use a router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eurodat, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eurodat

eurodat Thread Starter

I have no access to broadband where i live so all of my internet connection is via Dial up. I have set up ICS on my LAN which uses a hub. is it possible to buy a router for dial up connection?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There are routers that offer dial-up, SMC has several models.

3. BillC

BillC

There is a good chance you will see a slow down in load time when several machines are on the net at the same time with a dial-up service. But it will work.

4. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

My router has a serial port and can use an external modem.

5. Akito

Akito

What type of router do you use alpha?

6. eurodat

eurodat Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I took a look on the SMC site but I'm not sure exactly what hardware i should be getting.

Although there is no broadband access here right now, I'm sure it will be here soon so i would like to buy a router that works for dial in now and will be ready for broadband when it finally arrives.

Is there such a thing?

7. Akito

Akito

As per my understanding, get the SMC7004ABR for a 4-port dialup router. The SMC7008ABR is the 8 port version. The cheapest I found the 4-port version was on Amazon.com, but they messed up, so I cancelled my order.

8. eurodat

eurodat Thread Starter

I took a look at the spec for the SMC7008ABR but it seems that it needs an external modem and that it may only be there as a fall back option.

Looks like i will need to buy myself an external modem if i want to have a router while I'm stuck in the stone age dial up world here at my home.

So, the question is... will this be a much better option than my current ICS solution which works OK? Will it be worth the extra expense?

9. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

It's a 3-com ,3c-510, it's an older model.

10. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

I used ICS for a year or so on my cable connection. It worked but was a pain in the but. Always having to have both PC's on so my daughter could chat on MSN. I got my router on sale so the price was right. I noticed a big improvement in speed on my PC now that it isn't the host. I would say an external modem should be better than an internal Win Modem, bigger better faster . The external modem connection on my router is a 9 pin serial port, so a USB modem wouldn't work, keep that in mind. If you will be stuck with dial-up for a while it may be worth while to go the router modem route, especially if you can get one on sale. You'll just have to decide for your self. The other advantage of the router is the hardware firewall provided by the NAT. It protected me from blaster.

11. JohnWill

Any router that supports dial-up access will require an external modem, think about it! :) As for the SMC7004ABR, my daughter has that one, and I have the SMC7004AWBR wireless version. Both of them will support a modem only, broadband only, or dial backup.

12. Akito

Akito

If you wanted to use an interal modem and a switch/hub, you could get a copy of winroute (www.winroute.com) which acts like a router and uses NAT, but you're better off getting a full router.

13. JohnWill

The problem with any of the products like that is that you need to keep one machine on all the time for the others to have access to the Internet.

14. Akito

Akito

Right, that's why I said get a real router :)

15. eurodat

eurodat Thread Starter

What would be the advantage of winroute over ICS?

I leave a PC on all the time anyway.

I would need something that could be controlled by the clients ie dial up and hang up. I am just downloading WinRoute now to take a look at what it involves..

Thanks for the replies by the way

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice