1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I use a spare wireless router as a repeater?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rzme0, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rzme0

rzme0 Thread Starter

Hi

I have a new netgear MIMO adsl router (dg834pn) which has helped address most of the dead spots in my old brick built house. I now have a dg834g (wireless 4-port adsl) router going spare.

Can I hook up a length of RJ45 from the MIMO box to the old router and use the old one as a wireless repeater for the one area in the house the MIMO won't reach? If so how would I go about it? If it can't be done in plain english it's going to be beyond me! :eek:

thanks in advance

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I thnk he said plain english your technojargon just fried something in the synapses of his I think :) *just kidding and glad its friday!*

4. rzme0

rzme0 Thread Starter

Thanks JohnWill

I think I just about understood that! I recognise the terms from the set up screens on the routers.

So if I tell the old router (now the repeater) that it no longer has DHCP and that its new address is 192.168.0.254 will the primary router (the new one) just see it as a passive device?

Do I need to give the old router (which I want to be wirelessly enabled) a different SSID to the primary wireless router?

Thanks very much - the help's really appreciated.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I would this way you know which of the 2 your connecting to :)

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Another thing is I think you need to do is to use 2 different channels since both are wireless as well but I am not the wireless guru here so I'll deffer to others

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I remember the answers from previous JohnWill's posts. With his setup, your old router is configured as an ethernet switch and a wireless Access Point.

To make sure you don't wirelessly interfere with yourself, use a different channel and differert SSID.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Certainly use a different channel, and make sure it's separated by at least three or four numbers. For multiple wireless routers, I normally use 1, 6, and 11 to start.

9. rzme0

rzme0 Thread Starter

I can now get to the net via a hardwired connection through the old router which is now acting (I think!) as an ethernet switch. The performance is excellent.

The connection between the new primary router and the old router is via a Devolo mains (electrical supply) LAN using rj45 cables.

Next Problem! I can't get the wireless connectivity going between the old router and a wireless laptop. I have created an SSID for ithe old router and given it a channel number 4 digits different than the primary router. Sometimes it sees it at full strength, other times it doesn't see it at all. The laptop is inches away from the old router. I have tried with and without security encryption. It behaves the same whether the Devolo mains LAN is used or with a direct rj45 connection.

I'm stumped!

Is it likely that the wireless broadcast of the router itself is packing in?

Any more suggestion very welcome.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Yes, your old router's radio may be going bad. The more hours it has been used, the more likely it is failing. The laptop does not have the same problem with the new router, right? And you don't have obvious interference, like a 2.4Ghz phone or a neighbor's signal on the same channel?

Sometimes you can "refresh" routers by noting your important settings, reset to factory default settings, reconfigure the router.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487217