1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I use car subwoofer with my home system?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by wgreene, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

I have a really dumb question.:eek: Is it possible to somehow adapt a car subwoofer for use with a home speaker system? If so, would it be worth the time and trouble?

A friend told me I should upgrade my home theater subwoofer in order to get a higher quality bass response. I happen to have a Bostwick HD Pro sub which was previously used in my Honda minivan and is now taking up space in my house. It seems that I paid at least several hundred dollars for it, so I figure it should be of higher quality than my Definivitive Technology ProCinema 60 subwoofer. I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone able to answer my question. Thank you very much.:)

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Just check what you are driving it with, if you mean the woofer speaker on it's pwn without the sub amp from the car (which would need a massive 12v supply...)

The impedance is probably a little low at 2 or 4 oms, but if that matches the amp specs that you will be driving it with, it should be fine.

Typical home systems are 4 or 8 ohms.

But I do feel sorry for the neighbours.

3. tdi_veedub

tdi_veedub

As long as your amp can handle the 4 ohm impedance, it will work. If your amp can only handle an 8 ohm impedance, you can take 2 4 ohm subwoofers, connect them together in a series circuit, then you will have 8 ohm impedance.

The best subs to use are car subs, bar none. I feel sorry for any pictures, or other things hanging on your walls :D Forget about the neighbours, you won't be able to hear them anyways :D

4. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thanks, fellas -- that's what I needed to know!

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

wgreene...

As was stated above if your amp will handel it sure...

Just one piece of advice from experience, keep it away from the PC or any floppies, the car subwoofer is unshielded, which means that the big magnet on the subwoofer will have the possibility of damaging the hard drive or any floppies next to it ;)...

6. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thanks for the helpful advice -- that's certainly important to know!

7. Chris Y

Chris Y

I Have the same problem too.....
    I need to know how to connect my car sub woofers which i had in my mitsubishi..........
    They are 2 12" Pioneer Sub woofers with Panasonic 1200 Watt 2 Channel Amp (Model#CY-PA2003U) and a Volfenhag Capacitor.......I need to know what i need in order to connect my subwoofers with my rca wires.......
    I dnt know what type of power supply i need or whatsoever.......
    Can U Keep help me out with this problem>??

8. Chris Y

Chris Y

I need to know how to connect my car sub woofers which i had in my mitsubishi..........
    They are 2 12" Pioneer Subwoofers with Panasonic 1200 Watt 2 Channel Amp (Model#CY-PA2003U) and a Volfenhag Capacitor.......I need to know what i need in order to connect my subwoofers with my rca wires.......
    I dnt know what type of power supply i need or whatsover.......
    Can U Keep help me out with this problem>?? It also has a 4 Guage Wire....as well

9. Chris Y

Chris Y

They are 2 12" Pioneer Subwoofers with Panasonic 1200 Watt 2 Channel Amp (Model#CY-PA2003U) .... I have a 4 Gauge Wire and a Volfenhag Capacitor.......I need to know what i need in order to connect my subwoofers with my rca wires.......
    I dnt know what type of power supply i need or whatsover.......
    Can U Keep help me out with this problem>??
    If u wanted to know i was going to connect it into my Computer Speakers with Speaker/Subwoofer Inputs

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Floppies, yes but you would have to insert the hard drive right inside the speaker and even then loss of data from it would be doubtful!

You need a power supply capable of 100 amps at 12 volts.
    I simply can't imagine where you will find a power supply with that rating that would be affordable - or even available.

11. Chris Y

Chris Y

Im guessing its pretty rare to find a 100 Amp at 12 Volts Convertor....
    To tell you the truth i really dont know what that means or what it looks like.....
    If you can help can keep me posted......because i really want to connect it .......it takes a lot of space in my room....
    (y)

12. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

When you find the 100 amp supply, then come back.

I have never seen one for sale, and remember that you do not want a "battery charger" it must be a smoothed DC supply.

Start thinking serious $$$$ as well, if such a supply is available.

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Don't know about that...because I actually had it happen to me several years ago, and I can tell you the symptoms you will see before the drive finally goes kaput :D...

1) Drive will start becoming fragmented very often...
    2) CRC errors when trying to access files (lost data)...
    3) When trying to format and reinstall, numerous errors resulting in chucking the drive and getting another only for it to happen again, then smacking self in the head and moving the said speaker and getting a new drive...:D

Also I ran mine off a Pioneer 100 watt Stereo house recvicer...

14. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

http://www.unix.org.ua/orelly/networking/puis/ch12_03.htm (and many other similar links exist)
    "modern hard disks are becoming remarkably resistant to external magnetic fields. Within a few years, even large, military degaussers will have no effect against high-density disk drive systems."

The magnetic field from a permanent magnet speaker is almost wholly contained within the speaker voice coil area in the center of the speaker, or the speaker would be extremely poor in performance.

I suspect your experience had other causes than the speaker magnet proximity. The magnetic effect falls off according to square law, not linear, so extremely close contact would be needed.

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Listen...I'm not going to get into a tit for tat with you...

I know what happened to me as a result of putting unshielded high wattage speakers near the pc...

And...I'm going to keep telling people to keep them away...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice