1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I Use HDMI Splitter Outputs With HDMI and Non-HDMI Device?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by AlanRM, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlanRM

AlanRM Thread Starter

I am considering buying an HDMI splitter to get around a problem I now have when streaming music only from the Internet. Currently I have about a 15 ft. cable running from the HDMI output on my computer to my Samsung TV. With this setup everything works fine. I can watch Youtube videos or Netflix movies. The thing that I don't like is that if I want to just stream music for several hours, I have to leave the TV on since the audio connection from the TV to my receiver is not a pass thru. It is only live when the TV is on. I am wondering if I can use an HDMI splitter to solve this problem. What I plan to do is to connect the computer HDMI output to the input on the splitter. Then use one of the splitter's outputs to go to the Samsung TV and the other one to go to my receiver via an HDMI-to-2 Channel Stereo Y-adapter. Just wondering if the connection to the non-HDMI device via the Y-adapter will upset the functioning of the splitter. What about the the EDID handshaking and HDCP signal that HDMI sources and displays need in order to function?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor, x86 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3327 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200, 700 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 100099 MB, Free - 79895 MB; D: Total - 238472 MB, Free - 7248 MB; E: Total - 51207 MB, Free - 2940 MB; F: Total - 52226 MB, Free - 6059 MB; G: Total - 307203 MB, Free - 5546 MB; H: Total - 9993 MB, Free - 6096 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M4A785-M
    Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Even better:

Bluetooth transmitter for your computer $8 (I bought a Rocketfish on eBay)
    Bluetooth reciever for your stereo reciever $10

3. stantley

stantley

You could also get an audio splitter and have one go to your computer speakers and the other to audio input on your stereo.

4. AlanRM

AlanRM Thread Starter

Prunejuice and Stanley, thank you both for your replies to my post. Both ideas seem to have merit. Stanley, I assume you mean taking the analog audio output from the computer, running it through a splitter and sending it to the computer speakers and to my stereo. Well, I've tried half of that without good results. I ran a pair of heavy duty audio cables from the audio output jack on the back of the computer to my stereo and I do get music but I also get a heavy dose of 60 or 120 cycle hum which I have not been able to eliminate, so I abandoned that. That would have been a fine solution had it worked. If you have any ideas as to what I may have done wrong there, I'd love to hear it. I'm afraid that were I to try using a splitter I would still get that same hum.

Prunejuice, where did you get the transmitter for such a low price? Logitech has such a transmitter but I believe it is $39.00. I played with the Bluetooth today since I already have a Rockfish Bluetooth adapter on my computer. I sent music via Bluetooth from my phone (LG 840G) to the computer which sent it to my Samsung TV via HDMI. The music got to my receiver from the audio output jack on my Samsung TV. But the quality wasn't that good and it's not a result of it going thru the TV. That's the way I always listen to music that I stream and the quality is very good. I was discussing what I did with a friend this evening and he wasn't sure I had done it right, so maybe you could tell me just how it should be done.

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

I bought 3 of these. Less than $10 each. Shipped.

[​IMG]

Just pair your Rocketfish adapter with this and use an audio cable (most likely 1/8" stereo male to RCA female Left and Right)

I can upload pics if youd like.

6. stantley

stantley

I'm not sure why you're getting that hum, it might be that one or both devices aren't grounded properly. You could try plugging the power lines/surge protectors into different outlets to see if that helps and make sure you're using three pronged plugs.

You can also pick up hum if you have the audio line running right next to a power line.

You could also try plugging the audio line into different inputs on the stereo. I have the audio from my computer going into "Tape Monitor In" on my receiver and it works fine.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!