1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can i use I386 to repair xp?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cleardarksky, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cleardarksky

cleardarksky Thread Starter

i'm having major problems with my pc and i'd like to know if it's possible to use the I386 folder in my computer to either repair or reinstall xp, i was not given the installation cd or a restore cd when i bought it a couple years ago, but i do have a copy of the I386 folder. if it is possible to use the I386 folder to repair windows do i simply double click the Winnt32.exe file and follow the directions? and if it's not possible how do i install linux in my pc, simply download the iso insert the disk into the drive and follow the directions?

2. kimsland

kimsland

Yes but only from within Windows (obviously)
    I'd copy the I386 folder to C:I386
    After restart you may need to browse to this folder (usually OK OK twice - then type c:\I386 OK)
    By the way this is Not normally your best option
    IE if you can run Windows to Run Winnt32.exe, then you can repair the fault (usually)

In regards to Linux:
    There are some guides before installing usually on the site you downloaded the ISO from
    ie is this dual boot? virtual ? Installed?
    Generally you can't go too wrong with the no-install Linux CD boot (try before install)

3. cleardarksky

windows does start and i am able to access all files and folders but i'm missing the start button and taskbar and in can't go online, i've done a lot of research online and have tried just about everything to fix it with no luck. and like i said i don't have the original cd or even a restore cd.
    the I386 folder is in c:/windows/i386, you're saying i should create a copy to c:/i386? and i don't know what you mean by "IE if you can run Windows to Run Winnt32.exe, then you can repair the fault (usually)" how would i do that?
    thanks

4. kimsland

kimsland

Have you gone to Users (hopefully able to in Safe mode) and create a new user account
    This is the easiest fix

5. kimsland

kimsland

Can you locate a Windows CD from someone else (same version as your - Xp ? Home ?)

6. zabusant

zabusant

7. kimsland

kimsland

8. cleardarksky

i've been trying to find a windows xp cd through friends/relatives/people they know with no success, i have tried http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (117. Restore Taskbar and Start Menu) by copying it into a cd from a laptop and installing it into the problem pc but it will not install, i think i need to be online in order to use it, i forget the exact pop up that comes up when i try to install it, the damn thing will not install, and the pc will no longer go online, i have read the http://www.easydesksoftware.com/I386.htm but have not tried it yet that's going to be my last resort move, and i have done some reading on "create a new user account" to be honest i have not tried this yet, that's going to be the very next step i will try.
    thanks everybody.

9. zabusant

zabusant

You don't need to be online - When you doubleclick it, it should say "Do you wan't to add this to the registry" - or similar and you answer "yes".

10. zabusant

zabusant

Alternatively, Start>Run... regedit

File>Import and import the file "nodesktop.reg".:)

11. kimsland

kimsland

Please let me know on the new account option (when you're able to try this)

By the way some manufactures sell restore discs (HP; Dell) if yours does, please contact them to purchase a CD only (ie you have the key)
    Mind you mines a mongrel (a bit of this, a bit of that) I had to create my own. Which is what you'll do once all this is working again !!

12. monckywrench

monckywrench

There are ways to build an install cd by making a "floppy image" boot CD with a copy of the i386 folder.
    I'd just download a Ubuntu iso on another box, burn to CD, then install that. The hassle of product activation is yet another reason to replace Windows.

13. kimsland

kimsland

14. cleardarksky

does anybody know the registry location of the start button and taskbar? not that i know anything about this but is it possible to add a new registry value (if one is missing) to bring back the start button and taskbar?

15. kimsland

kimsland

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/nodesktop.reg
    From zabusant Post 6

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

(I have No idea why explorer in the top line has a gap, I have saved without, and re-wrote it)

Please refer to the reg file

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/662441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice