Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can I use my monitor for 2 activities?

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  cwwozniak 
#1 ·
HI. I want to know how, if possible, to be able to be on the internet (which I do via desktop, direct ethernet cable connected to my dell tower) and simultaneously be able to watch a tv channel (which I do via an OTA antenna, connected to the antenna spot on the tv, which is also the monitor for my pc.) I was able to do this and loved it, until last week when Locast ceased operations. I didn't have to push the input button on remote, like I do now. Is there a type of connection or device that will accomplish this? Split screen? Separate window? etc? It's an Insignia tv, new, not a smart tv.
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210408202924.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Hard Drives: C: 1843 GB (1666 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0WR7PY, ver A03, s/n /HCYVT12/CN7220043O01D8/
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 1072009, s/n HCYVT12
Antivirus: Webroot SecureAnywhere, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#3 ·
What is OTA and what is locast ? We don't live in your local and don't know the lingo.

Are you saying that you are able to watch TV as well as see the pc' desktop, using picture in picture feature of the TV?
Over The Air, antenna. Locast is a local tv stations translator that provided access to local tv stations via its site, so an antenna wasn't needed.

#6 ·
Open your TV channel. Use double square icon top right to compress the window.
Open PC window and do the same
Drag one window to the left and adjust both by dragging the edges until they both take up half the window
You can use them independently, or add more windows and adjust as needed.
Depends on the size of your monitor!

#7 ·
Short answer is no.

If you've selected the input for TV on your television, that's what will display. In order to see an image from your PC, you'll need to change the input to HDMI (or whatever you're connected with). If you have PIP (picture-in-picture), you can view two inputs, though the PIP window is typically less than 1/4 the size of the main screen, usually much less.

The only way you can really do what you want is to find a TV tuner card to install in your PC. Something like this (I haven't used this, and am not endorsing it, simply using it as an example of the sort of thing I'm talking about):
https://www.newegg.com/hauppauge-wi...=digital_tv tuner card-_-15-116-116-_-Product

I've seen USB formats, too, but I'm not too sure about them. I guess if it were at least 3.0 it would be fine.

#11 ·
The only way to get the scalable and moveable box for the OTA TV program would be to have the TV connected to the computer's video output and, as Mark explained, then use an OTA tuner expansion card plugged into an open PCIe slot on the computer's motherboard. The card would typically come with or have downloadable software to tune in the desired channel and display it in a repositionable and scaleable box on the Windows desktop.

#18 ·
At this point, you have at least three choices.

1) Wait and see if Locast is going to fight and win to restore their service at $5 / month.

2) Go with one time cost to purchase and set up a tuner card installed in your computer

3) Purchase a separate computer monitor for watching videos on the computer and use the TV for simultaneous OTA viewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.