1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I use my router like a wifi dongle?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hobhob, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hobhob

hobhob Thread Starter

Hey.

So I move house tomorrow, and the apartment building I am moving into has free wifi, which is rare and fantastic, the only issue is, I have been using powerline for ages so now need to look at alternative methods of connecting.

I have a TL-WR841N by TP-Link, and I was wondering if I am able to use this in a similar way to a wifi dongle, so connecting the the building wifi and then plugging my PC into the router via a ethernet cable?

Basically they have on the ground floor a wifi router and I will be in the basement, so I am worried I will need quite a strong wifi signal to connect to it, hence wanting to the use the TP-Link, as its got two aerials and a very strong signal on it. I know this is something best to ask when there, but I want to know if there is anything I can do while I still have the internet to make the process easier once I've moved..

If this is not possible, does anyone have any suggestions of wifi dongles which have very powerful signal ranges?

Thanks loads !

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the router has Wireless Bridge (also called AP Client) mode it can be used as you desire (to "extend" a wireless network to an ethernet segment). Check the user guide or browse through the configuration pages to determine the router's capabilities.

Many USB wireless adapters have an integrated antenna and are just one piece (like a USB flash drive) while others have an external antenna and include a short USB cable. In general the latter type are better for working with a weaker signal and, of course, are more easily placed in a better location.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Yes you can.

4. hobhob

hobhob Thread Starter

Ace thanks. Yeah it has two aerials and I had been using it with power line to extend to another floor in my house. So hopefully I can do this wirelessly with the bridge mode too and then wire my PC in! If I go silent it has not worked. About to move house now so fingers crossed it will! Haha

Thanks for the help :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1152674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice