1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I use Netscape or IE as I need to?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Steve-x8086, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steve-x8086

Steve-x8086 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steve
    Ok. You may laugh at me but I want to keep my W-95 and IE 4.0 with no changes. My question is, can I download Netscape and be able to select it from desktop icon while in W-95?

I don't want to run both IE and Netscape at the same time but to be able to select either one as I may need to without having to exit windows or reboot. The main reason is to get 128bit without upgrading my IE 4.0.

Thanks, Steve-x8086

UPDATE -> I have solved the 128 bit problem in IE 4.01. The link is at the end of this page. There are other good links throught this thread. Thanks everyone, Steve-x8086

2. dai

dai

no problem you can have both open at the same time if you want

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

OMG, I think I was just having this conversation with TechGuy earlier, subject being who still runs Windows 95 :eek: Except, I'm one up on you, I actually found someone still running IE 3 :eek: I don't even think I remember that :eek:

What version of Netscape are you going to get :D

*BTW, I have some 286's for sale, interested ;) * :D

4. Steve-x8086

First Name:
    Steve
    I don't know what version. It will be the 1st time so I'm open for suggestions.

Other system information: [email protected], 20gbHD(4gb used), 256mgRAM, Dial-Up. I am on-the-web several hours almost every day. Not really any problems.

OK - You got me there BUT: I am still using a NRC PC-6 XT computer that I bought new in 1983. They are side by side. 286---that's advanced. I'm 8086 and a 8087 @ 7.2mhz in the fast mode.

See if you can guide me on the latest version of Netscape that I can use and what to look for when installing it.

Thanks again, Steve-x8086 (still 8086)

5. ~Candy~

:D Well, I'm not that familiar with Netscape, but I know that IE 6 won't run on 95....so you might check the system requirements prior to downloading. Or better yet, drag out one of those ISP frisbees that may have a version on it.

The person I was communicating with earlier who had 95, was running netscape 4.8....if that helps any......I guess it's over 7.something now?

http://wp.netscape.com/download/archive.html

6. Steve-x8086

First Name:
    Steve
    Was that IE 6 or Netscape 6 that won't run on 95? Netscape is up to 7 or more.

7. ~Candy~

IE 6 won't go on 95.

Not sure about Netscape.

8. Steve-x8086

First Name:
    Steve
    I've gone to the Netscape website but it has little information. It does say that W-98 is a minimum but I wonder if that is just a standard version number used now that MS doesn't support it anymore. There isn't a place to ask Netscape a question about this problem unless you sign up for a fee for service with them.

Are there any other alternatives to my problem about getting a seperate browser to use on my W-95 that supports 128bits?

Oh well, Steve-x8086

9. ~Candy~

May I ask why you want to keep IE 4? Looks like 4.01 supports 128.

10. ~Candy~

11. hewee

hewee

12. Steve-x8086

First Name:
    Steve
    Aca looks like a interesting site but when the link on the site is used, I get a Cannot Connect message. It appears that there was a 128bit update for 4.01 at some point.

I did some research and I do have IE 4.01 with SP2,3283, Version # 4-72-3612-1713. What comes up is 40bit. This appears to be the last version of IE 4.0. 4.0 still comes up on the Help screen even though later versions are used. I also saw that there was a large upgrade, 12mb, at one time for 4.0 but MS scaled it back to 4mb.

Following is an interesting link to test the browser that is being used. Seems to work well. http://www.cyscape.com/showbrow.asp?bhcp=1

I'll keep looking. Thanks

13. Steve-x8086

First Name:
    Steve
    Well, my problem has been solved to some extent. I still am looking for information on using the Netscape browser as a stand alone program but have solved the 128 bit problem.

Thanks to Aca's link (even though it was dead) I searched for 128 bit high encription pacs and found a MS link. This link, below, provides a download 128 bit pac for IE 4.0 through 5.1 using W-3.1 through W-98NT as well as Windows Alpha!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/128bit/default.asp

Keep this link handy as it is good. Thanks for all your help.

Steve-x8086

14. ~Candy~

Nice link.

Sorry about mine, I didn't bother to test it......should know better than that ;)

15. TOGG

TOGG

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice