1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I use Outlook as a kind of network calendar

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Lindopski, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lindopski

Lindopski Thread Starter

Hello Guys.
    I have just been posed a question by my Boss.

I work for a small company , we only have like 5 or 6 computers here and 4 full time employees and one 1 day a week student (me) :)
    We have a peer to peer type network , no server or anything like that and a net connection , nothing fancy all quite simple stuff.
    My boss wondered if it is possible for us to have some kind of a calendar that we can all access from the network and add dates , check appointments in advance etc..
    at the moment any appointments are added to individual oulook accounts on individual computers , I was wondering if we can all add/remove items from the outlook calendar on one machine so we know where each of us are at any time.
    or is there other software to do the same task , some kind of network calendar?
    thanks in advance for any response.

2. TheLord

TheLord

u need a server, and an exchange server running on it to use Public Calendar to share whatever u want in it.

3. Lindopski

Lindopski Thread Starter

Ok then that discounts Outlook , is there an alternative to using outlook instead then maybe ??

4. TheLord

TheLord

possible a 3d party software not of i know

5. coachdan32

coachdan32

If you can't find anything from a third party, you should be able to set something simple up in Excel or Access to accomplish this and share it out.

6. coachdan32

coachdan32

7. coachdan32

coachdan32

You might also look into a feature called Net Folders in Outlook98/2000. It is suppose to allow you to share without Exchange. Not 100% reliable though, may be suitable for your needs.

8. Lindopski

Lindopski Thread Starter

Sadly were using Outlook 2002 and it seems as if its a binned feature , that may have been handy too , who knows , thanks for the reply though.
    Calendar plus sounds great but I doubt she wants to pay $800 for a calendar :)
    hey you never know :)

9. coachdan32

coachdan32

I didn't look at cost. It sounds a little steep for a calendar. Maybe try the Excel/Access approach.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

A few of my customers have been using a program called iCal.
    http://www.brownbearsw.com/

Easy to configure and you can access the calendar from any web browser, even over the Internet so it is very convenient

But it does cost around $400 for a 10 user license.

You can also use Schedule+ from MS. It's a bit dated but works great and is free.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice