1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I use pc2700 instead of pc2100?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by perrykurtz, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. perrykurtz

perrykurtz Thread Starter

I have an AMD XP2000. Can I use the 2700 memory? I have an ECS K7S5A Pro mobo

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Its usually OK to use faster memory, it will only run at the lower speed though.

Occasionally motherboards will throw a fit when given different RAM to share, but not often. You won't know unless you try.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've never had an issue using faster memory, but YMMV. The issue that comes up occasionally is that newer memory has higher density memory chips, and the number of address lines vs. chip select lines is not accommodated by the motherboard. That usually results in seeing only part of the capacity of the memory.

4. perrykurtz

perrykurtz Thread Starter

I have 256 of pc2100 in the now. if i pull it and put in 512 of pc2700 OR 3200, u think it'll run?

5. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Whether it does or not, it will ONLY run at the PC2100 speed. If you have recently got this mobo and don't want to invest much, why don't you get a compatible 256MB stick of RAM (PC2100) and add it in?

6. johnnychan

johnnychan

it'll run at the new pc2700 or pc3200 if ur motherboard supports it.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Not if there's some slower memory already in the computer.

8. johnnychan

johnnychan

yeah but he just asked if he could use the pc2700 didnt know he had other ram sorry

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice