1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can i use this as a print server?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hruiz14, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hruiz14

hruiz14 Thread Starter

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=333060&ref=cj#ts

I have a wireless network at home right now and i'm sharing my printer through my desktop. What I want to do is make the printer a network printer without having to share it through the desktop so that i don't need to always have it on when i want to print from my laptop. I know print servers are more expensive than this, but i don't really know too much about this stuff and maybe someone can help me out. I know it says its a print server, but i just wanted to make sure and see if anyone has used something like this to make a printer a network printer on a wireless network. Thanks in advance.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you have a router that you are planning on plugging it into?

3. hruiz14

hruiz14 Thread Starter

Yea, i have the 2wire wireless router I got from SBC or AT&T whatever they're called now.

4. ~Candy~

Then it looks like it should work fine.

5. hruiz14

hruiz14 Thread Starter

OK cool thanks. I just wanted to make sure since its so cheap compared to print servers that i've been looking at that cost over $50. Thanks again.

6. ~Candy~

In any event, if it doesn't, CompUSA will allow you to return it :D

I picked up a print server not too long ago, think I paid around $25 for it after rebate. The drawback on many of those is the one USB port or one LPT port capability.

Now, I did have one issue come up with a print server in the past. Some All-in-One machines simply won't play with a print server. So, you might look out for that if you have an all in one ;)

7. hruiz14

hruiz14 Thread Starter

I don't have an all-in-one so i think i shoule be ok. I'm going to pick it up and try it out tonight. Hopefully it works. Thanks again.

8. ~Candy~

Let us know (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/503071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice