1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I use this laptop for serious gaming!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by obindustries, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. obindustries

obindustries Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
    i'm just about to buy this laptop for £953 (with no OS)
    Serious strategy gaming is among one of its main uses on new games like
    medieval 2 total war,black and white 2 and many other demanding games.

Will this system be able to play these games with there graphic and detail settings set at the highest and still play them smoothly.
    thanks for any advice and any help on alternative gaming laptops for a budget of £1100 would be appreciated.

Titan T2 7200 Laptop

17" X-Brite Widescreen
    Intel Core Duo T7200 2.0GHz Processor
    2048MB DDR2 667MHz Memory
    160GB SATA Hard Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon x1600 256MB PCI Express Graphics
    7.1 Azalia High Definition Audio
    DVDR Multi Burner
    56K Internal Modem
    Built in Gigabit LAN & 54g Wireless LAN

2. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

Looks like you should do alright. Specifically focusing on the vid card...the 256MB will work great -- but if you could get, say 512MB (looking toward the future) may make it a bit more flexible.
    :cool:

3. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

Yes you can, but constant gaming on it is going to make it hot. Thinking about all them high calibre components crammed into such a tiny little space, such a tragedy :eek:

4. o.0

o.0

512 isnt really good enough for todays games..I would try getting 1 gig atleast. Most games say 256 min. but trust me even 512 is very slow. IMO = Þ

5. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

512MB is an ample amount of memory for a graphics card, 256MB is still viable as well. The memory is good for games that use a lot of textures, and probably draw the environment really far into the distance. Not for First Person Shooters that have small maps, etc.

6. snaithbert2

snaithbert2

I think you'll be fine NOW, but in a year you may be in trouble if you don't upgrade that video card.

As for heat- when do laptops NOT get hot? Gaming may make them even hotter, but for my money after a few hours, most laptops are pretty damn hot anyhow.

7. obindustries

Thanks for the advice guys.
    so how much should i expect to pay for a decent 512 or even 1024mb graphics card for a laptop and just to make sure, you dont think the dual core 2Gb processor is too slow for games like medieval 2 total war and will the processor get outdated as quick as the graphics card,
    thanks
    ed

8. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

you don't need a gig of video ram. you don't really ever need that much. expecially with the 1600. the memory on a video card means nothing unless you have a good gpu to back it up. so don't look at the memory, look at the clock speeds. Also, game developers develop games in 128mb vram. I am looking at a 7950GT with 512, but especially for a laptop i don't think you can find a gig of vram for a laptop. you should be all set with 2 gigs of ddr2 anyway. that rig should scream. don't worry about a diff videocard. yours is fine.

9. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

I should point out - not all games will even be supported by mobile version video cards. Be sure before you buy the machine that the games you want to play on it will support the Mobile. (y)

And any games you might want to buy later, check for mobile support.

10. obindustries

cheers for the advice, thats nice and reassuring :).
    If it wasnt for god damn university i would blow the money on a desktop system but i need the mobility.
    thanks
    ed

11. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

That video card - is the card integrated -does it run off system RAM or does it have its own VRAM? You'll see a performance dip if it's running off system RAM, but you should be alright for most things if you're not totally insistant on maximum detail

Gaming on laptops can be a bit hit-and-miss.

12. obindustries

The card is a dedicated card separate from the system memory.
    Does this mean slightly better performance and do you think i could do better than this system for under a grand.

13. obindustries

damn, ive just found out that the graphics card is built in to the chasis and cant be upgraded, im guessing this is a big down side, how long until the 256mb x1600 will be outdated?

14. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

That's not uncommon, given that it's a laptop, but since it's not integrated, you should be quite good with the x1600 for a while - your system RAM won't be tied up in by your video card all the time

At least until the DX10 cards start coming out, I would guess you're safe.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/520082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice