1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I use this power supply with my mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by npearson713, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. npearson713

npearson713 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,
    I have a 2 year old Dell XPS 420, with a stock 0tp406 mobo, Intel C2Q @ 2.33GHz, Vista 64, 6GB of RAM, and an ATI Radeon 3650 that's ready for an upgrade.

I purchased a Radeon HD 5770 without verifying I had an appropriate power supply, but unfortunately the stock Dell is rated at 375W. Other forums have suggested a 375W PSU would be fine for the card, but those posters typically have C2D processors instead. I think a 425W would theoretically cover it, which is the only other option available directly from Dell, but I also have another power supply lying around that I wanted to try first (well - ask about, trying could = fried mobo).

It's an Ultra ULT-V600DR, rated at 600W, and it has 2 6-pin connectors which I'm assuming are for dual PCIe graphics cards. This leads me to believe that the 600W rating is legit, but I'm unsure if it's going to be too big (looks to be a standard ATX size, though the mobo is BTX from what I've been reading) and I can't find anything online that says it would be certified for use with a) the 5770 or b) the stock Dell 0tp406 mobo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and Happy Holidays! Also, I apologize if I double posted, but it's my first time on the board and I think I closed out my previous tab while still proof-reading my post...

Thanks!
    Nate

2. npearson713

npearson713 Thread Starter

Okay, so I did a little more research into the "new" power supply (basically looked up what all the Amps and Volts meant). It seems to me from the sticker that there are two +12V rails that are rated as such:

Ultra ULT-V600DR
    +12V1: 18A
    +12V2: 20A
    Max combined wattage: 420W

Across all of the listed voltages, the Max Combined Wattage is 600W. Now I read where the ampere ratings don't directly add up, however there is some formula I found in another thread on overclocking.net that leads me to think that 18+20A would be something above 30A, but it's limited by the combined wattage. My concern is that the box for the 5770 says the minimum required for a 12V rail would be 40A (to be fair, the ASUS box also says it requires a 500W PSU when it really needs 450W by ATI's specs).

To top it off, I found another single post in a PSU/5770/XPS thread where someone simply posted "I've got a 5770 in my XPS 420 with my stock 375W PSU and it works no problem." I can't find the thread again to link it, but that was the gist of it. By the sticker on the side of the stock 375W unit, it wouldn't have anywhere near the required 40A rail...

Confused thoroughly,
    Nate

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice