1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I use windows 98 disk from Dell on Compaq?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by melonhead, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Two of my computers are on Windows 98. There are some help files missing off the Compaq. However, the only way to reload Windows 98 is off the Rescue disk - wiping everything else out too! (Bad planning!) However, I have a Dell computer that is also on Windows 98. Can I use that disk to copy over on the Compaq? The Compaq is a desktop, the Dell is a laptop.

Thanks for your help!

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

No-Recovery Disks are system specific andit would be illegal piracy to use 1 copy on multiple machines anyway.

3. rugrat

rugrat

When you put in the recovery disk, do you have an option to recover without formatting? If not, since you have a legal copy for both machines, you could try the disk unless it also is a recovery cd. Is it just a full version of win98 and not a Dell recovery or restore disk? If it is a full version, you will want to keep any newer files windows finds on the machine.

Let us know

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

It is just a recovery disk and will not work on the Dell.

If you have 2 legal copies-may as well just use the other one on the dell because its still illegal to use the same disk on two machines.

5. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

I have two legal copies. Unfortunately, the Compaq (the one that is missing files) has the Windows 98 on the recovery disk. It gives me a huge warning that all info will be lost if I continue. Maybe the next step gives you the option to just copy, but I hate to take that risk. (And, I doubt it does give the option since it gives a warning.)

Do you know anywhere I could download the files I am missing? When I try to use the Windows help on the start menu it gives me an error message that statesCannot open the file:
    %systemroot%\help\windows.chm

I tried to search for systemroot, for help, and for windows.chm without any success. (I found some help files, but they did not appear to be the file I was looking for.

Thanks for the help

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Since you have legitimate licences, I don't think MS is going to care if you restore files from the other machines CD.

On the PC with the missing file, run SFC and insert the Windows CD from the other PC.

Use the "Extract one file..." option
    Type Windows.chm as the file to restore
    Restore from E:\Win98 (or whatever your CD drive is)
    and the Save in as c:\windows\help

Or, if you have WinZip installed and you are missing a lot of Help files, you can use it to open the appropriate CAB file from the Windows CD and unzip them into \Windows\Help

On Win98FE, that file is Win98_28.cab

7. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

melonhead DOES NOT have a Windows CD, only a Compaq recovery disk.

8. Jeckler

Jeckler

Well, this is certainly an interesting thread... surprised noone's done this yet.... Here's the file for ya melonhead, right click and save in the c:\windows\help folder... you'll need to rename it back to .CHM after downloading

http://www.geocities.com/jecklers/windows.doc (geocities wouldn't let me upload it any other way).

9. WhitPhil

He has a Dell PC that DOES have a Windows CD. That is the one I am recommending he use!

And, if it doesn't, then just copy the missing CHM files onto a floppy and sneaker-net them to the Compaq.

10. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

I was a bit confused at first-I guess hes asking if he can copy the windows.chm file from the Dell to the Compaq-in which case the answer is yes. Or just download it from jeckler's link.

11. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Oops! Just went to geocities and they won't let me open up? Any suggestions?

12. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

His file has been removed, it is against GeoCities rules as filestoring I guess.

13. WhitPhil

You said you were missing Help fileS, ONE of which was Windows.chm.

Or, are you only missing the one?

Regardless, copy it/them from your Dell onto the Compaq.

14. Jeckler

Jeckler

Nope, file's still there. I'm on my neighbors PC at the moment, and it downloads just fine. How many feet can you fit in that mouth of yours?

Regardless, the file is only 500k or so, like Whitphil suggests, easy enough to stick on a floppy. I was just tired of seeing everybody bickering back and forth over a lousy help file.

15. Jeckler

Jeckler

What error, if any, do you get when you try and download the file? "Won't let me open up" doesn't give me much.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice