Can I use XP Pro recovery console on XP Home?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Blade59

I bought a cheap laptop from Fry's and Windows XP Home was already installed by the OEM. I was only given a set of 'recovery CD's'.(n) XP Pro installation CD to use on the machine with XP Home?
Specifically I'm getting an error message:
autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK.EXE.
This happens right after POST and then the machine just tries to reboot again. I tried to install XP Pro over the Home but it said it could not access my hard drive.
I already booted with the Pro CD (before I realized it wasn't XP home), got the recovery console- but couldn't install it on my hard drive.Does this mean I won't be able to make a BartPE CD? How can I get my machine to boot-up again without having to use the recovery disks and losing :eek: all my data in the process?:confused:

Blade59

JohnWill said:
Use the link provided. :)
How am I supposed to look for the i386 folder with Explorer when I can't get into Windows? I have access to a desktop can I use this to create the CD with my laptop's recovery CD's?

Blade59

The recovery CD's,there are 3, don't look like they will let me access the needed files.
disk 1 has:BIOS.BIN;COVER.DAT;FAT.BIN;DATA.DAT;IT.COM;FONT.FNT;LINUX.BIN;NTFS.BIN;
OTHER.BIN AND WINXPOPK.EG
DISKS 2 & 3 HAVE WINXPOPK.EG.:( (n)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I think you're right, they seem to have compressed it all into an amorphous blob. It may be time to do a backup of your data and bite the bullet and reinstall.

I use Acronis True Image to make an image after I do an install and get it all cleaned up. That's my "recovery" disk, and it works very well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts