1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can IP address be blocked from wifi router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lohnjennon92, Jul 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lohnjennon92

lohnjennon92 Thread Starter

what does it mean to block an IP address from a router?

is it possible to block someone's IP address from your wifi router to prevent them from emailing you or contacting you through the internet?

as an example: hypothetically, say you have a roommate who majors in IT and is very jealous of your relationship with your boyfriend, can that roommate block your boyfriend's IP address from the wifi router or do something somehow so he cannot get in touch with you? (and its a long distance relationship so you can't just go to his house to talk to him)

also, is there any way i could find out if an IP address was blocked and unblock it?

would turning off the wifi on my phone and just using data solve the issue if he was blocked from the router?

please help
    thank you

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No. But there may be routers with that capability.

Login to the router and look for such a setting.

3. lohnjennon92

thank you. didn't know i could log in on the router LOL i logged in but i'm not sure what to look for? the router is fios/verizon. where would the list of blocked IP addresses be if there is any?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I do not know. Maybe in "Security" or something like that. Routers have a brand and model (sometimes pretty hidden when owned by an ISP) that can be used to find a user manual, which can be quite helpful.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Is this something happening now, or are you preparing for it?

6. lohnjennon92

thank you so much

7. lohnjennon92

suspected it might be happening now but i might be wrong and just paranoid. i'm not really sure. i logged into the router but i didn't know what to look for to view any blocked IP addresses

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Depending on the router, the biggest thing that could happen is making a device work only at certain hours. There may be some area that would block websites. What router do you have?

9. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    The router can't block email.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Again, depending on the router and what software it has, it can potentially block e-mail by port numbers (993/995 25/587) or by websites (but then you potentially block others and not just one person) or MAC Filtering to block devices.

I believe that the OP may be overthinking this relationship... but if you start seeing problems when you are on wifi, use your cellphone data to see if you get the same issue. If not then you can start looking at the router or ISP.

11. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    Email is server-to-server. A home router can't block it. Those ports are for email client apps.

Definitely connect your phone to the cell network, and you should get your email.

12. lohnjennon92

router is verizon fios... thank you for your help btw

13. lohnjennon92

also not sure if its important but there are 2 routers, one downstairs which is the main router and then a booster upstairs. i was able to log into the downstairs/main router but i can't log into the booster although that one has a separate password. i know nothing about this subject LOL hope this is making sense.

14. lohnjennon92

i just assumed if his IP was blocked that it would block everything he sends from his computer... or does it not work like that? i really know nothing about this subject lol.. he doesn't have a phone just the computer.. he uses email and a texting app he can access from the computer. he did drop his computer and it was acting weird but then he got it fixed, maybe its having issues again and its on his end, i just thought maybe my roommate did something because it happened shortly after we got into an argument

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I would suspect it's a coincidence if you are able to access anything else on your phone and it is on his side.

lohnjennon92 likes this.
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice