1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can ISP stop you from buying your own modem or router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Thompson251, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Thompson251

Thompson251 Thread Starter

Can your ISP stop you from using your own modem/router? Is there any extra fees I would have to pay?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    They could, but I haven't heard of any doing so.

You have to make sure they take the modem and/or router rental off your bill. If it is bundled in instead of listed separately then you'll be stuck paying for it anyhow.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    They may also refuse to authorize it or set it up for you if you don't use their modem or at least a modem that they approve and support.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It depends where you are and which ISP you are with.
    I have always used the supplied router, dumped the set up and connect values from it and substituted my own, more secure router.
    I have once had to use the modem in the supplied router and used a fast Ethernet connection to mine for onwards connections.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    My ISP charges me $4.00 a month for my wireless-N modem/router.

It's worth the cost to me, considering I get a free replacement (usually an upgraded model) if it bites the dust.

-----------------------------------------------------------

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Comcast charges $10/month to rent a modem; not something I've ever done. I got my first modem free by sending in a rebate coupon and I've used it from 2004 until 2008 when Comcast told me the modem was the problem. The modem wasn'tthe problem because the new modem had the same issues. Tech came to the house and fixed the weak signal coming into the house. So this modem has been used from 2008 until sometime in 2015.

I have a DOCSIS 3 modem, I just bought for $76.99. I'm waiting for the power to go out, then I'll swap modems and call tech support with the info. So in 8 months I'll have recovered my expense.

Comcast lists all the modems they support. All three modems are Motorola Surfboard, just different models.

Comcast tells me I'll get better speed with a DOCSIS 3 modem. Currently I get about 20Mbps or more which is fine for everything I do. (This is with a 7 year old, DOCSIS 2 modem and a router from 2004).

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I too have Comcast as my ISP. I also opted to buy my own modem which is a DOCSIS 3 Motorola. I jumped the gun a bit early in getting my modem as Motorola has another one (I have the 6121) which supports the fastest speeds Comcast is providing now. I don't remember at what speed my current modem tops out at.

I also have better firewall/wireless equipment than what Comcast would provide for me as a rental.

And lastly, I don't want Comcast broadcasting their xfinity SSID for any Comcast subscriber to connect up to as a hot spot over my equipment circuit. Comcast isn't disclosing upfront what renting equipment from them means. It's great for me when I'm out and about to connect up to the xfinity hot spot but it sucks to be the customer providing that connection....even though Comcast claims no performance impact.

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

BT and SKY Wireless routersdo the same thing (guest SSID) in the UK. That is why I change to my own.
    Although neither make any particular effort to stop you accessing the controls and turning it off.
    It never ceases to amaze me how many insecure WANs there are around me.

9. zx10guy

The problem is Comcast will not allow you to access that part of the router configuration to shut off the public SSID. I don't remember if you can opt out if you're aware of what Comcast is doing.

10. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  11. zx10guy

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice