1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can It Possibly Be True?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by aarhus2004, Jan 24, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. Raeli

Raeli

Or he'll just end up driving in circles... :D

"Look, kids, there's Big Ben on the right..." :p

2. DiSaidSo

DiSaidSo

LOL

Parliament!

3. Gibble

Gibble

What annoys me, is when people give directions as follows.

Head straight down the road until you hit the McDonalds, then turn left. Go a few blocks and turn right at the Chineses restaurant, just after the second set of lights turn right, and you're there.

Instead of saying. Take Route 90 South to Ellice, turn East and when you hit Empress head south again, etc...

If you try giving directions involving N,S,E and W to someone living in the city (or at least here) they give you funny looks. And if someone from the city gives directions using turn right and turn left...it annoys us country folk.

4. DiSaidSo

DiSaidSo

I always try to use NSEW directions, but I often get that deer-in-the-headlights look. You have to consider your audience when giving directions. And the biggest mistake most people *coughIKcough* make when giving directions: too many details! When you give too many details, it gets confusing.

For example, when I came to this building that I am sitting in RIGHT NOW :)D) for my interview, my then-boss gave me directions. This place is really easy to get to. All he had to say was "Go north, and after the first light, which is [name of street], you'll see a City Garage and a small side street. Turn onto the side street and you're there." Instead, I got "OK, turn right at the police station (which is on the opposite side of the street...hard to see), and you'll pass the fire station and a Sonic and (which are on opposite sides of the street) a light (didn't give me the name of the road) and then the City Garage and we're right next door to that."

I should write a fargin book on how to give good directions. Most people are SO CLUELESS! It is amazing. I deal with people every day who have to direct me to where they live so I can look up their address or give them other information and I'm serious, y'all: People don't know where they live. It's scary.

5. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

I was asked for directions by strangers a few months ago in Washington D.C., Virginia, and New York, none of which are places I live or that I visit frequently. And guess what??? I successfully gave directions in all three places. Because if you're paying even a little bit of attention, I don't see why it's so hard.

6. onemundaneso

onemundaneso

Too bad the robots control all media outlets.

*thread hijacked* :cool:

7. DiSaidSo

DiSaidSo

You forgot to capitalize Robots! WTG! We're all DOOOOOMED!!!!

Hi oms. Missed you and our four-volume pm's. :D

8. onemundaneso

onemundaneso

For some of us, it's hard to pay attention with all that dementia up there occupying most of the circuitry. :D

9. onemundaneso

onemundaneso

Hmph. More like refused to capitalize it. Fight the power, etc :cool:

Hey, me too! :D It's like having a novella to read every day at work. (y)

10. vealj

vealj

Am I free to admit that I am a directionally challenged male, -without fear of persecution?
    Man I can't find my way out of a wet paper bag(or a dry one that's been set a'fire :D). If I haven't been there before I can forget it. I might as well pull over and buy a map. That part I have no problem with. But I know some guys who could find there way out of a city they've never been to just by knowing thier orientation_NSEW.
    I once got lost in downtown Atlana and coudn't find my way off of Peachtree St. to get to the interstate. I swear it felt just like that durn traffic circle you guys were refering to. Luckily for me the only people I embarassed myself in front of were the street dwellers. :eek:

Something else I can't stand... :mad:
    I hate when a person gives me directions that include more than about six turns. That's my limit. After that I will either stop paying attention and find someone else to tell me again so I can write it down or go as far as I can remember then ask someone else. I don't think I'm stupid 'er nuthin'! I just can't retain that much info like frigin' Rain Man.
    BTW- Persecutors please ignore the above.

11. WendyM

ABSOLUTELY! (y)
    I'm no good in a city I haven't been to. But once I drive there once, I can always get back to where I've been. I don't necessarily have a good directional sense, but if it's a city near water, I always know which way is "toward the water" or "away from the water". The people who can instantly orient themselves in any city impress me.

12. Gibble

Gibble

How can you not know which way is N/S/E/W?! It's simple, even easier if the sun is visible!

13. DiSaidSo

DiSaidSo

I can orient myself pretty well as long as the city is well-laid-out. If it's a good N-S and E-W grid, it's easy-cheesy. If it's on a freakin DIAGONAL (Dallas!!!), then I can get turned around pretty easily. But if I have a MAP! I am unstoppable!

14. DiSaidSo

DiSaidSo

Some people's inner compass is a bunch of goo.

15. WendyM

I know N/S/E/W reasonably well, but I have to try. It's not instinctive. And I can be easily confused by a freeway which says it's running E/W, but sometimes is running closer to N/S for stretches. Oh yeah, and my inner compass is a little gooey. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice