Can kids become addicted to the Internet?

useeman

Banned
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/children/kidsafetyfaq.mspx said:
The Internet is a wonderful tool for young people, especially for those who have difficulties with peer interaction. Computer-savvy kids can shine on the Internet because looks and athletic ability are not important, and this can help build their self-esteem. However, excessive computer use may further isolate shy kids from their peers or take away from other activities such as homework, exercise, sleep, or spending time with others. Parents and teachers are often unaware that there is a problem until it is serious. This is because it is easy to hide online activities and because Internet addiction is not yet widely recognized.

Establish rules around home computer use and try to balance it with more physical activity. Also, make sure your Internet-connected computer is out in the open, not in your child's room.

Finally, look at your own Internet use. Do you spend hours online? If you do, your children are likely to follow your example.
lmao!

i am on the internet probably 6 hours a day. Im not addicted, i sleep more than i am on the net. Well most of the time.

sigh, society at large trying to label something else as an addiction.
I think these morons are forgetting that addiction is a "physical dependance". Using the internet is not physical, and I dont see any way one could possibly be dependant upon using the internet unless it pertained to a job. I am on the net alot, but when I go camping or on a trip I dont get the shakes :rolleyes:

If I could still post in my "Slow News Day!" thread this would be in there, without a doubt. Poor journalism created that monstrosity.

First Name
Guy
Omega_Shadow said:
sigh, society at large trying to label something else as an addiction.
I think these morons are forgetting that addiction is a "physical dependance". Using the internet is not physical, and I dont see any way one could possibly be dependant upon using the internet unless it pertained to a job. I am on the net alot, but when I go camping or on a trip I dont get the shakes :rolleyes:

If I could still post in my "Slow News Day!" thread this would be in there, without a doubt. Poor journalism created that monstrosity.
Um........... an addiction can also be a mental issue. Ask any gambler and if they are strong enough to admit it more power to them, they will have taken the first step towards recovery. As far as yourself is concerned I'm glad that you are not one of the addicts but there are many that are. Maybe not so much to the internet but to some specific sites or uses. Addictions have many symptoms besides the shakes when one isn't able to fulfill their " needs" and I hope you never experience any of them.

The posting was originally done by Microsoft so can hardly be blamed on the media and in my opinion has a lot of great pointers.

dont get me started on that :rolleyes:

A "gambling problem" is not an addiction. It is just an excuse that a person with low will power uses. Also there is no such thing as a "mental addiction", just those with weak minds.

I do not blame you for thinking this way. society is in the habit of just blaming peoples problems on some condition or random activity (now it's the net) to take the pressure of the people themselves. This is a very bad thing. It leads to "but I didnt know hot coffee was hot" lawsuits and parents blaming gas can companies because their kids dosed themselves with gas while the parent decided not to watch their kid :rolleyes:

Calling anything an "addiction" is an insult to those that have real addictions and have to fight thought them. My fathers best friend died because of addiction to alcohol. That is an addiction. All those people in rehab having to be strapped down while they go though withdawls from oxycotten and other drugs, thats addiction. Not knowing when to stop wasting your money? Thats foolishness and poor will power.

EDIT> Wimpy, so we dont end up hijacking this thread, would you like to continue this in CivilDebate?

First Name
Guy
Omega_Shadow said:
dont get me started on that :rolleyes:

A "gambling problem" is not an addiction. It is just an excuse that a person with low will power uses. Also there is no such thing as a "mental addiction", just those with weak minds.
You know I used to think that way as well until someone very close to me ( not me or my wife ) was taken over by it. It's pointless to debate this with you and I won't because you haven't lived it. I hope you never do but rest assured you would change your tune.

I do not blame you for thinking this way. society is in the habit of just blaming peoples problems on some condition or random activity (now it's the net) to take the pressure of the people themselves. This is a very bad thing. It leads to "but I didnt know hot coffee was hot" lawsuits and parents blaming gas can companies because their kids dosed themselves with gas while the parent decided not to watch their kid :rolleyes:
If you have read any of my previous post you would realize I don't condone people blaming society for their woes therefore the " I don't blame you for thinking this way " is not even remotely close. I won't debate that either because I agree in principal with what you have said.

Calling anything an "addiction" is an insult to those that have real addictions and have to fight thought them. My fathers best friend died because of addiction to alcohol. That is an addiction. All those people in rehab having to be strapped down while they go though withdawls from oxycotten and other drugs, thats addiction. Not knowing when to stop wasting your money? Thats foolishness and poor will power.
Once again it's obvious you haven't read any of my previous posts. I didn't know someone that died directly due to alcohol abuse with the exception of my sister. If you care, here is a pic of my younger sisters tomb stone. I look at it quite frequently not only to think of her but to remind me of the evils of alcoholism / addictions. You see I was partially raised by a drunken father that shirked his responsibilities and she died because of his inability to provide. I managed to escape it by leaving home at 15 and have been self sufficient since. By telling me your friends father died because of booze doesn't make you an expert. Matter of fact it's kind of one of those " I had a friend scenarios". If you have a real life experience you would like to share with me I'm open and willing to listen. If not please refrain from your inexperienced lecture.

EDIT> Wimpy, so we dont end up hijacking this thread, would you like to continue this in CivilDebate?
I couldn't be bothered at this time. I would be willing to after you get another 20 or 30 years of life experiences under you belt. Until then it's all hearsay.

Now a suggestion. Re-read the initial blurb from MS and leave out the addictions crap. Does the rest make sense?
Happy New Year:)

Attachments

Wimpy369 said:
You know I used to think that way as well until someone very close to me ( not me or my wife ) was taken over by it. It's pointless to debate this with you and I won't because you haven't lived it. I hope you never do but rest assured you would change your tune.
I had a close Friend that lost everything because he didn't know when to quit. He, too, tried to use the excuse of addiction. "I couldn't stop" was his explanation. You know what cured his "addiction"? A crash curse in money management :rolleyes: He lost his home, family, most of his friends and his respect. He gained a home back and some respect but his family doesn't trust him anymore, sad really.
Please understand I am not attacking you or the one close to you. I just know- For a fact from seeing it first hand- that it is not an addiction but bad judgment.

There is a good chance I am wrong. I am not a all knowing being. If I was I would make a killing in the lottery. But from what I have heard, seen and know I just don't believe that gambling could be an addiction

Wimpy369 said:
If you have read any of my previous post you would realize I don't condone people blaming society for their woes therefore the " I don't blame you for thinking this way " is not even remotely close. I won't debate that either because I agree in principal with what you have said.
My bad, Forgive me for that phrase.

Wimpy369 said:
Once again it's obvious you haven't read any of my previous posts. I didn't know someone that died directly due to alcohol abuse with the exception of my sister. If you care, here is a pic of my younger sisters tomb stone. I look at it quite frequently not only to think of her but to remind me of the evils of alcoholism / addictions. You see I was partially raised by a drunken father that shirked his responsibilities and she died because of his inability to provide. I managed to escape it by leaving home at 15 and have been self sufficient since. By telling me your friends father died because of booze doesn't make you an expert. Matter of fact it's kind of one of those " I had a friend scenarios". If you have a real life experience you would like to share with me I'm open and willing to listen. If not please refrain from your inexperienced lecture.
Never said I was and expert. And how is a " I had a friend scenarios" different then a "My _family member_ scenario" ? In my experience, Friends are closer then family. Had a bad family life, but wont get into that here - too personal. It surprises me a tad that you left home at such a young age. That makes you much like me - Left my home at 16.

Wimpy369 said:
I couldn't be bothered at this time. I would be willing to after you get another 20 or 30 years of life experiences under you belt. Until then it's all hearsay.
I have plenty of life experiences old man* ;). Just because my age says 22 doesn't mean I haven't went though hell like you. (*meant in respect. Serous:) )

Wimpy369 said:
Now a suggestion. Re-read the initial blurb from MS and leave out the addictions crap. Does the rest make sense?
Yes, It makes seance in a legal point of view. Micro$ucks doesn't want to get sued (or was already) by those that clam that IE helped their "addiction" along. Almost like cigarettes have to have a warning on them.

I have one more thing real quick: Do you beleive that playing video games are an addiction? A man died in asia due to playing a video game for a week non stop. In your eyes is that an addiction or poor judgement? (not ment as an attack, ligit question)
Wimpy369 said:
Happy New Year:)
And Many More!:)

I think these morons are forgetting that addiction is a "physical dependance".
Maybe the argument here is just that we're all using different dictionaries then. No one is saying that gambling is physically addictive, and plenty of sources consider a mnetal dependence an addiction. There's no way we can debate whether or not gambling is addictive without saying how we define addictive.

Maybe this is you
The moral model states that addictions are the result of human weakness, and are defects of character. Those who advance this model do not accept that there is any biological basis for addiction. They often have scant sympathy for people with serious addictions, believing either that a person with greater moral strength could have the force of will to break an addiction, or that the addict demonstrated a great moral failure in the first place by starting the addiction. The moral model is widely applied to dependency on illegal substances, perhaps purely for social or political reasons, but is no longer widely considered to have any therapeutic value. Elements of the moral model, especially a focus on individual choices, have found enduring roles in other approaches to the treatment of dependencies.
And there are also models that show genetic predisposition to addiction, models that consider it as a disease, and models that relate it to cultural influence.

And this sums up the argument we're having pretty well.
The habit model proposed by Thomas Szasz questions the very concept of "addiction." He argues that addiction is a metaphor, and that the only reason to make the distinction between habit and addiction "is to persecute somebody."
Quotes borrowed from Wikipedia.

First Name
Guy
Omega_Shadow said:
I had a close Friend that lost everything because he didn't know when to quit. He, too, tried to use the excuse of addiction. "I couldn't stop" was his explanation. You know what cured his "addiction"? A crash curse in money management :rolleyes: He lost his home, family, most of his friends and his respect. He gained a home back and some respect but his family doesn't trust him anymore, sad really.
Please understand I am not attacking you or the one close to you. I just know- For a fact from seeing it first hand- that it is not an addiction but bad judgment.
Like any addiction, a person has to hit bottom before he can begin to help him / herself get out of the rut. A crash course isn't going to cure his problem but the things he lost led him to it and opened his eyes.
There is a good chance I am wrong. I am not a all knowing being. If I was I would make a killing in the lottery. But from what I have heard, seen and know I just don't believe that gambling could be an addiction
I know the word is overused and it's one I would rather not hear but I'm old enough to realize that times change and I'm becoming somewhat willing to adjust. ( it hurts to say that )

My bad, Forgive me for that phrase.
Done....
Never said I was and expert. And how is a " I had a friend scenarios" different then a "My _family member_ scenario" ? In my experience, Friends are closer then family.
Just to generalize I would say that to live with it is very different than not. In other words you can always walk away from a friends house.
Had a bad family life, but wont get into that here - too personal. It surprises me a tad that you left home at such a young age. That makes you much like me - Left my home at 16.
I've read many of your posts and we do have a lot in common despite our age difference.

I have plenty of life experiences old man* ;). Just because my age says 22 doesn't mean I haven't went though hell like you. (*meant in respect. Serous:) )
Just because my daughter is 10 years older than you doesn't mean I'm old. Maybe I started before you.;) That said, everyone has their "hell" and I always like to think many are / were worse than mine. It makes me tone down a notch or two.;)

Yes, It makes seance in a legal point of view. Micro$ucks doesn't want to get sued (or was already) by those that clam that IE helped their "addiction" along. Almost like cigarettes have to have a warning on them.
That may have been part of the reason they posted it but the main message I get out of it is too many kids are hiding behind a monitor and not learning what it's like to be a real life human being. There are other messages I get out of it but my daughter is all grown up so it doesn't concern me directly. I only have my grand sons to worry about. A little selfish I know but that's life.

I have one more thing real quick: Do you beleive that playing video games are an addiction? A man died in asia due to playing a video game for a week non stop. In your eyes is that an addiction or poor judgement? (not ment as an attack, ligit question)
I vaguely remember someting about that story but the details slip my old mind. To answer your question, no I don't think he was addicted, I'd say he was a fanatic though. I could play tiddly-winks for a week straight and would die if I didn't eat or drink during that period. That's a no-brainer. The guy was an idiot.
And Many More!:)
I'm sure we'll talk more as time passes by.;) :cool:

Omega_Shadow said:
So if I were to give someone 'addicted to gambling' my ring of +5 will they would be fine?

Being on the internet alot isn't necessarily a bad thing. I certainly have it to thank for my ladyfriend(and we do live in the same town, and go to the same highschool).

I did not reply to all of it because this could go on forever. :eek: :D
Wimpy369 said:
That may have been part of the reason they posted it but the main message I get out of it is too many kids are hiding behind a monitor and not learning what it's like to be a real life human being. There are other messages I get out of it but my daughter is all grown up so it doesn't concern me directly. I only have my grand sons to worry about. A little selfish I know but that's life.
I blame that on the parents though. Alot of parents like using the TV (and now the computer) as a babysitter instead of spending time with their kids. And this might be a little hypocritical sense I have no kids of my own, but we as a nation are babying our kids too much - Not allowing them to experience what it is really like in this world of ours until they are thrust from the candy coated shell made by their parents into this real harsh world.

Wimpy369 said:
I vaguely remember something about that story but the details slip my old mind. To answer your question, no I don't think he was addicted, I'd say he was a fanatic though. I could play tiddly-winks for a week straight and would die if I didn't eat or drink during that period. That's a no-brainer. The guy was an idiot.
You got that right. That guy actualy dropped off the scale of my Moron-O-Meter. Media had a Field day though - Saying that this could be one of the first fatality's from a "little known addiction" to mmorpgs :rolleyes:

Wimpy369 said:
I'm sure we'll talk more as time passes by.;) :cool:
Oh I am sure we will talk more. I haven't convinced you that your wrong yet! :p :cool:

Oh yeah, the internet can be addictive!

I literally can't get away from the thing. I spent my younger years playing around with it as a hobby. Now, I go to school to learn about it, and work on computers using the internet as a way to make my living. I'm in front of a computer screen for 10+ hours a day!

Techno-crack, I tell ya.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online