Can leaving ur laptop on high proformance be bad?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pavstaaaa

i keep my laptop always plugged in with out the battery in and when i need to take it portable i put in the battery. yh well basicly i keep it on high proformance all the time could this effect the computer at all

Not really, it just makes it have higher performance (so the manufactorer says (only thing I notice change is the screen brightness)), and run out of battery quicker.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There is NO need in removing the battery, as when it is plugged into power, the battery will be charged and NOT used unless the power is lost.

pavstaaaa

if your battery is fully charged and you continue to keep the ac plugged in it slowly kills your battery life.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have left mine plugged in 7/24 except when on the road and the battery has lasted as long as the computer. I have never had to replace a battery and they all seemed to keep a good charge when needed on the road.
I have replaced each laptop about every 3-4 years, with the original battery still intact.

I would recommend that you don't have the power supply plugged in whilst the battery is in.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If it is not in the machine how does one charge the battery?
Also READ, my post I have NOT had any issue with any of our laptops with them plugged in and with the batteries installed. We have been running laptops in this manner since the early 90's without issues.

Give us a REAL source for the reasoning behind your statement?

If it is not in the machine how does one charge the battery?
Also READ, my post I have NOT had any issue with any of our laptops with them plugged in and with the batteries installed. We have been running laptops in this manner since the early 90's without issues.

Give us a REAL source for the reasoning behind your statement?
There will be no problem with the LAPTOP, problems WILL occur with the battery when using it in the laptop without a power source. Many tests have been conducted showing that battery life is greatly reduced when "over charging" a laptop battery. Look it up yourself.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I find a lot that says to remove the battery when on is NOT going to use the computer, but nothing about while is use.
I know what works for us, and the batteries have out lasted many laptops being used in this manner.

I have nothing else to say. Sorry in my opinion and usage, you are incorrect.

antech

Banned
This will NOT have any Negetive impact on the system at all.
BTW,
Who told you about this?

aka Brett

Banned
i keep my laptop always plugged in with out the battery in and when i need to take it portable i put in the battery. yh well basicly i keep it on high proformance all the time could this effect the computer at all
You do not need to remove the battery..when the battery is full --charging will stop...also if you lose power by the electricity going off or the cable getting pulled out of the unit by accident...you risk the chance of file corruption just as a desktop does.

Balanced is the recommended setting for a laptop---when the cpu needs to step up it will...this happens very fast..when the load is gone it throttles back down.

High performance can be used for bench marks,trouble shooting etc.....but to use this for everyday use causes un needed heat build up....heat is the enemy of a laptop so therefore shortens the life of the unit.

antech

Banned
You do not need to remove the battery..when the battery is full --charging will stop...also if you lose power by the electricity going off or the cable getting pulled out of the unit by accident...you risk the chance of file corruption just as a desktop does.

Balanced is the recommended setting for a laptop---when the cpu needs to step up it will...this happens very fast..when the load is gone it throttles back down.

High performance can be used for bench marks,trouble shooting etc.....but to use this for everyday use causes un needed heat build up....heat is the enemy of a laptop so therefore shortens the life of the unit.
I didnt knewabout that aka Brett!

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
Where are the settings being discussed found?

{redoak}

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online