Can My Charger Be Shortening My Battery's Lifespan

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ChildOfLore

So the charger for my laptop (Toshiba Satellite L300 running Ubuntu 10.04) broke a while ago and I haven't used the thing in months. I finally got a new charger from eBay, it was really cheap and didn't have a brand name. Lately, I've been noticing the capacity of my battery going down; about a week ago it would be fully charged at 87%, then 83% and today it stopped at 80%. I've had the (Li-ion) battery for about a year and I've been keeping it plugged in a lot lately but should it be degrading this quickly all of a sudden? And can my charger be outputting at an improper voltage or something and harming the battery?

Thanks,
Marlon

daz1

Banned
yes

Toshiba Compatible Satellite L300 Adapter
Input Volts AC 100V - 240V
Output Volts DC 19V
Output Current 4.74A
Power 90w
Internal Stock Code CAA72G

whats the ebay one ??

ChildOfLore

Input: 100-240V~1.5A
50/60Hz

Output: 19V[Straight line with dotted line underneath(I fail at whatever notation this is)]3.42A

That's all it says on the back. It was sold as a charger specifically for a Toshiba Satellite L300 so I never thought to check the numbers... probably should've.

ChildOfLore

So should I stop using this charger? Does the discrepancy in amperage constitute a danger? Or is it likely the voltage is outputting differently to what it says on the back? The barrel connector was broken on my official Toshiba charger so if I need to I can just transplant the one from the new charger onto the old charger; but should I, or is the charger not a problem?

(Thanks for your help, btw)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online