1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can My Charger Be Shortening My Battery's Lifespan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChildOfLore, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChildOfLore

ChildOfLore Thread Starter

So the charger for my laptop (Toshiba Satellite L300 running Ubuntu 10.04) broke a while ago and I haven't used the thing in months. I finally got a new charger from eBay, it was really cheap and didn't have a brand name. Lately, I've been noticing the capacity of my battery going down; about a week ago it would be fully charged at 87%, then 83% and today it stopped at 80%. I've had the (Li-ion) battery for about a year and I've been keeping it plugged in a lot lately but should it be degrading this quickly all of a sudden? And can my charger be outputting at an improper voltage or something and harming the battery?

Thanks,
    Marlon

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

yes

Toshiba Compatible Satellite L300 Adapter
    Input Volts AC 100V - 240V
    Output Volts DC 19V
    Output Current 4.74A
    Power 90w
    Internal Stock Code CAA72G

whats the ebay one ??

3. ChildOfLore

Input: 100-240V~1.5A
    50/60Hz

Output: 19V[Straight line with dotted line underneath(I fail at whatever notation this is)]3.42A

That's all it says on the back. It was sold as a charger specifically for a Toshiba Satellite L300 so I never thought to check the numbers... probably should've.

4. ChildOfLore

So should I stop using this charger? Does the discrepancy in amperage constitute a danger? Or is it likely the voltage is outputting differently to what it says on the back? The barrel connector was broken on my official Toshiba charger so if I need to I can just transplant the one from the new charger onto the old charger; but should I, or is the charger not a problem?

(Thanks for your help, btw)

5. ChildOfLore

Bump.
    I need to know what to do before I can use my laptop again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice