1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can my company know?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RaJunCaJun, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RaJunCaJun

RaJunCaJun Thread Starter

I recently got a job in medical informatics. I work at home and access the company's data base through a laptop supplied by the company. I didn't know when I hired on that the company forbids the use of a wireless connection. I have a wireless router and my office is on a different floor than my router. I can get the office hard wired, but in the meantime I was wanting to know if there is any way the company can know that I am using a wireless router. They are OK with me using the wireless router, as long as the laptop is physically connected. BTW, I have WAP on the wireless for security.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I assume you are connecting through a VPN appliction? I hope you are using WPA2 for the wireless encryption.

3. RaJunCaJun

RaJunCaJun Thread Starter

I think so, and YES.

4. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

If they supplied the hardware, there may be monitoring software to keep you on task and make sure you are actually following their instructions

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!