1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can my computer get infected from running an audio CD?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by mike927927, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike927927

mike927927 Thread Starter

I have windows XP with AVG antivirus up to date and ad-aware, spybot and microsoft antispyware. I got music and spoken word CD's from a person I do not know very well. I wish to only run these CD's, and not to download or save anything. If I hold down "shift" when placing the CD in and then running the avg virus scan first before listening to the CD, am I basically safe from being infected? Or is it just too risky? Is there anything else I should do? thanks

2. Polly1016

Polly1016

Can you insert the CD and choose not to play it ... instead ask AVG to scan your disk drive D:/ or whatever letter drive your CD is in? Or have you already done that? Also, you're right ... never download or save anything that the CD ask's you to do unless you are sure of the source and exactly what you're downloading!!!!!

Sometime's it just doesn't pay to save a few dollars by getting CD's from people you don't know very well.

3. wdm2291

wdm2291

It sounds like you're being very cautious, which, these days, you need to be. Just because a source is generally trustworthy doesn't necessarily mean that their cd's will be safe, either. It made the tech news lately that you can end up with a rootkit on your computer (a program that can hide files (including viruses) so that antivirus and antispyware programs can't see the files) just by clicking "OK" to the innocent-looking little software that tells you it will "enhance" your musical experience when you listen to your new cd. Sony/BMG put this rootkit on a lot of their CD's in the last year, and recently (due to the outcry) announced they were going to stop using it. But for a lot of people, if you just clicked "Yes" or "I accept" on the EULA (End User License Agreement) that came up when you plopped in your new Celine Dione (sp?) cd, then you ended up with a rootkit on your computer that hackers could take advantage of to hide their viruses on your computer.

I think if you take Polly's advice and first scan with an updated AVG and Microsoft AntiSpyware running, you should be ok.

Another possibility is maybe you could listen to these cd's on a boombox.

Wayne

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

If its really an audio CD then its perfectly safe.

5. Deathblow

Deathblow

I think when Brendandonhu is trying to say is if it's ONLY an audio cd it should be fine. If it's a mixed media cd on the other hand...

6. Polly1016

Polly1016

Now, why didn't I think of that, Wayne? Great idea!! (y)

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

8. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

True, but those were not audio CDs.

9. wdm2291

wdm2291

Actually, most of them were music CD's which also came with a program installed, which came up w/ a EULA you could agree to (thereby unwittingly giving permission to install this rootkit on your PC). Celene Dione (sp?) was just one of a list of artists on whose CD's this rootkit was hiding and eventually loaded from. The above mentioned link mentions they are music CD's as do some other websites that documented the problem (sysinternals.com and grc.com, among others).

Wayne

(thanks, Polly, and yw) :D

10. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

But these were not audio CDs- notice that none of them are actually labeled as a "Compact Disc" on the case or advertising. Anything with the "Compact Disc Digital Audio" logo contains only audio and can't install anything.

11. wdm2291

wdm2291

I'm guessing that the Sony/BMG CD's then didn't have that logo on them.

Wayne

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice