1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can my computer handle a better hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ksupmac, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ksupmac

ksupmac Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavilion 7950 that came with an 80gb 5400rpm hard drive. I'd really like to add a 7200rpm drive (I need more storage and there's no way I'm buying a 5400).

My concern is whether or not my system can handle a 7200rpm hard drive. I mean, there must be a reason HP's original setup only had a 5400 drive right? SO how can I determine if my system can support the new drive?

Also, am I able to run a 5400 and a 7200 at the same time? I guess the 5400 would remain my main drive since that's where I have my OS installed, but I'll change that if I need to.

Motherboard: Asus A7V-VM 1.02
    Processor: AMD Athlon 1.02 Ghz

2. jlabit

jlabit

HP used the 5400 RPM hard drives because they were cheaper. Assuming both the hard drives you have are IDE (Wide ribbon), yes the 7200 and 5400 are compatable. Make sure you have the 5400 connected to the master connector on the IDE cable, and the second hard drive (the 7200 RPM) connected to the slave connector on the IDE cable. Am not absolutely certain but I believe the black connector is master and the gray one is slave.

3. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

the HP has a Asus motherboard?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice