1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can my power supply handle all of this load if I upgrade the graphics card??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kingknightrider, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kingknightrider

kingknightrider Thread Starter

First the Computer Hardware Info:
    Power Supply:
    550W Logisys PSU (The reliable black variation)

Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A88T-M LE

Processor:
    AMD Athlon II X2 270 ( Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core)

Memory:
    Crucial 2GB PC3-8500 DIMM DDR3 Memory Module (x2)

Hard Drives:

• Western Digital 500GB EIDE Internal Hard Drive 7200 RPM 8 MB Cache
    • Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache
    • Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5
    2 On-board USB slots used (1 for mouse, 1 for external powered USB 4 way hub)
    6-pin keyboard attached.
    On-board internet active.
    2 Cooler Master 80mm Dual Ball Bearing Case Fans
    1 Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Card
    3 Thermaltake Thunderblade 120 mm 4 Led Case Fan
    1 80mm CPU FAN

I have a ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT Eco 512MB and was thinking of upgrading the card and placing this 9800 eco card in another lesser used computer.

[​IMG]
    Specifications:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6076993&CatId=3670

The card I was planning on going to:
    [​IMG]

Galaxy GeForce GTS 250 1GB
    Specifications:
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=25SGF6HX1RUV

I know the card is a few years old; nevertheless it seems like the best option for me. I am only going to get 256-bit cards from now on. Needing to stay with the Nvidia brand as well due to certain programs I am currently using. I do not have a lot of cash at current either so the budget is around $50 give or take $10.

Would this card be a good replacement and not tax my power supply given everything else already hooked up as mentioned above? This is my main concern considering that I have tried multiple online wattage calculators and get anywhere between 395 and 700 watts and do not know what to see or believe.

I am trying to keep the total output required by the computer from the power supply to about 500W max and keeping at least 50W in reserve at least.

Thanks in advance.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Geforce GT 250 is a minor upgrade from your current 9800GT, its not likely worth the cost of the new card. A Geforce GTS 250 is actually just a redesigned 9800GTX+, the faster sibling of your current card.

There's no way your setup should use more then 500 watts, more like 300-350 watts so with inefficiency, aging, and headroom you're still well under 500 watts.

3. kingknightrider

Even with 7 fans in the computer? Three fans of which are 120mm LED fans?

I built the computer at the end of December 2011 with only the Graphics Card and Power Supply carrying over (the PSU has last me over 2 years- probably since I am trying not to tax it in the first place...). What would you recommend as an upgrade then? (Taking into account the 256-bit interface and the $50 give or take $10 budget and keeping with the Nvidia brand?)

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A fan uses about 5 watts of power, varies by fan, but that's really nothing.

Edit: OK, with an LED, it might be bit higher, 6 or 7 watts per fan.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Newer cards with higher performance can come in 128 to 512-bit, many have 256 or 384-bit, memory interfaces, locking yourself to a 256-bit interface is silly, same for sticking to nVidia, AMD amkes great chips too and sometimes with better value at certain price ranges.

But at $50 or $60 you are better saving your money unless you can find some really good deal on a used card, there's nothing new in that price range that is better then what you have, or better by a noticeable amount.

You may want to overclock the current card to 9800 GTX or GTX+ levels instead.

6. kingknightrider

I can get the 250 for about $ 48.45 right here in town. The reason I would like to stay with Nvidia is due to certain software that I have to use currently in my work- BURNS every Raedon card I get.

Also correct me if I am wrong but is not the 9800 gt an 8800 gt as the 250 is a souped up version of the 9800 gtx+?

If so I think it will work for what I need, as I am content with my 9800's functioning- Except the dying sense I am getting heading straight toward it. The card is almost 3 years old now. So I am not really sure overclocking is a wise idea.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's not a souped up version, it's just manufactured using a newer process and it uses less power, but performance is pretty much exactly the same. But some of the GTS 250's are simply a 9800GTX+ with a new sticker, zero difference at all.

Yes, the GTS 250 is an upgrade over the 9800GT but to me its just not worth the $50 since all it offers is some performance gains but no newer features. But it does use less power, and has twice the video memory which could be advantages for certain games and its actually a good price by itself.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1043983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice