1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can my work network detect i'm gaming?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by InfectioN, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. InfectioN

InfectioN Thread Starter

If i am connected to the domain at work, can they tell i'm playing a game such as WoW on my laptop?

just wondering how all that works

2. oliver.d

oliver.d

It depends one what they have installed on the laptop. If it is your own laptop - probably nothing. Then again, company laptops also dont have much in terms of logged utilities on them. Connecting through the domain and playing WoW won't flag up any alerts with the techies. I wouldnt worry about it.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The logging likely takes place over the network. You company can probably see your activity through various server and proxy logs. If you're not supposed to be playing games at work, I would suggest you stop so you don't lose your job.

4. oliver.d

oliver.d

It depends on the size of the company - larger ones are more likely to deploy logging technologies - and depending on the technology used, they may or may not bother checking logs. I think it's a game of chance.

5. valis

valis Moderator

I'll guarantee any network monitoring tool would notice that amount of bandwidth being chewed up by one ip addy. We get calls weekly from the overseas HQ to check out this ip, that ip, and figure out wtf is causing it to use x amount of bandwidth, when for the past year they've not exceeded y bandwidth.

If you are on a domain, you are on a network. Any network admin worth his/her salt monitors traffic on their network, and something like WoW will, and should be, noticed......

6. inetbogey

inetbogey

Doublehelix and valis have it right, the IT guy just has to check the server logs and he knows your IP address and what site you are going to. If he uses security software he can see all the traffic on his LAN.

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

My employer uses Altiris software. It knows all software on the PC and when it is running, whether someone stole a stick of RAM or swapped in a slower CPU, what time you took a bathroom break, everything.

8. valis

valis Moderator

yup, we use altiris too.....love it.....bulletproof, easy as sin for remote access, and you can check all sorts of goodies on a daily, or even hourly if necessary, basis. :)

9. InfectioN

InfectioN Thread Starter

thats pretty much what i figured, thats why i havent run it

now the next question would be... will they know wow is installed on this laptop? or will they have to just manually see it or remote in.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That depends on what kind of software is installed on company computers. If there's something like SMS or Altiris, then yes, they could tell exactly what programs are installed without ever physically touching your computer or logging into it.

Make this easy on yourself. If you're not supposed to have the software installed, remove it.

11. xtreampb

xtreampb

my skool has issued laptops for every student (mac OSX) (a test to try to bring up high school grades) and they can control the laptop from their station in the school. the can open apps, close apps, cange settings, type stuff, lock comp, restart comp, and prob some other stuff that they havent figured out yet. like i said, my high school these people dont know the kind of power they have in thier hands and now they are disscussing the removial of my computer tech. classes because the class is not revelent to this high school so we should not offer it. Sorry to be complaining but my county is so F'ed up it's not even funny.:mad:

12. InfectioN

InfectioN Thread Starter

well i wasn't given the limitations on what i could and could not have on my laptop

as far as what i do while i'm on the clock, thats a different story. if it comes up to where someone sees what i have and tells me to remove it.. then i will

our IS department as all kind of "Magic" (maybe the gathering? not sure about that game) on their pc's and all kind of wallpapers and stuff up there. so it stands to reason in my mind that why should i get in trouble for having wow on my pc when our company pc's in our IS rooms have something similar on them as well.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice