1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can no longer connect to internet

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sarmin, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sarmin

sarmin Thread Starter

Hi, my laptop was working well up and could connect to internet until yesterday. Eversince, although I connect to internet using dial up, I can no longer view internet pages using internet explorer or netscape communicator. Both programs open without any error messages but as soon as I tried to go to a URL, they say page not found. I know I'm connected to the internet via dialup because other programs such as Imesh can still download files from the net. It seems as though my web browsers have become dissociated from the internet connection; they no longer sense that the computer is connected. Really appreciate your help.

2. Viji R

Viji R

I am not going to be much help - but I too had this problem just this last Friday. I could not work out why it just would not connect. Except that I was using SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.3 last week. I selected the option to imunize. But it was working fine for a few days after that as well. Then 3 days ago, kabooom ! And no connection to the Internet. I could dial in and everything - and the little modem lights seem to be flickering away - but IE and Outlook just could not see the Internet. Anyways, I gave up and yesterday, I just reformatted my hard disk and re-installed XP and everything - and now it works fine !

As I said, for mos that is not an option. But I cjust could not figure it out - and I had the time, so I did the re-install.

Maybe it is a bug with Search & Destroy ?

Anyone with any ideas on this ?

Viji

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Operating system?

4. sarmin

sarmin Thread Starter

windows xp

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you ping external sites by IP address and name.

Are either browsers misconfigured - for example trying to use a proxy whe there isn't one.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

In the absence of further information, it wouldn't hurt to run the Winsock2 fix and return TCP/IP to default parameters.

Download and run the fix here:

http://home.columbus.rr.com/magicchef/WinsockFixXP.reg

Repair TCP/IP by going to Start > Run, and typing:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    (if C: is your system drive).

The resetlog.txt file will detail the repairs made.

7. sarmin

sarmin Thread Starter

actually ran the program winsockfixxp.exe and it did the magic. thanks.

8. jasnick

jasnick

Elvandil

I was wondering if there was a WinsockFix for 98SE? Thanks

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

10. jasnick

jasnick

Thanks, Elvandil - will give it a go

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/234200