1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can no longer log on with my correct administrator password

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lindai55, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lindai55

lindai55 Thread Starter

Yesterday my son was on my windows xp, he's not a kid, he's 25. Let me say first on my computer (I have XP Pro). I have ONLY administrator on my log on screen because I am the only one who even uses my computer, except very occasionally my son. No one ever told me the importance of what would happen if I did not Croat a password reset disk, or of simply adding any account to it , so I could always log on an additional. I not know the stupidity of that. The real sad, and depressing thing about this is that just four months ago my brother rebuilt me a decent computer cause he's a computer engineer. My last PC had just fried. Now only four months later, still glowing from the joy of XP over Millenium, this happens. The weird thing is that i did not lose the password, it's nothing stupid like caps or anything like that (I have some computer knowledge simply because of problems and have fixed a lot on my own. But this one I cannot find an answer to anywhere. I found a way to fix it in PC World that said while I was booting to hit control, alt, delete three times and a new log in screen would appear. They then stated that I should type "Administrator" in username and put no passwork where it asks for it and that would fix the problem. When I tried it I got the screen to appear, it already said "Administrator" in user name and the digits that cover my password were already there. I tried clearing the password, etc, etc, and I still kept getting the same screen as when I try to log on in regular mode? Does anybody have any idea why it would change my password? Also, I cannot get on safe mode either. The message I get whenever I put in my password is "Have you forgotten your password". Believe me, I'm positive the password is correct. I don't want to sound like a pity fool, but my 23 year old daughter just had a heart attack and this is the absolutely worse time for this to happen, cause I am unable to do any computer work except from work and this is not easy at all to use the computer here. Any information at all would be so greatly appreciated.
    Thanks very much in advance.

2. kronus

kronus

Did you try pressing enter after you got that alternate login screen while your password was still there? I think that trick works only if you have not set a password for the admin account. I saw another post that had issues with keyboard layout. Would you be from the UK bychance? When windows starts, it defaults to a US keyboard layout and some few keys are different from the UK layout.

3. kronus

kronus

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

This link might be of some use. You'll probably need another computer to create these disks, but I assume since you can post here that you have access to such a machine. If you need any help all questions will be answered!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/234812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice