1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can no longer read saved Inbox emails

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by MAXn3, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MAXn3

MAXn3 Thread Starter

I have really messed up this time. I use Win 2000 with OE6 & NAV. I was trying to see why my Windows Explorer said I had 56 MB of stuff in my Deleted emails folder although it showed no messages when I viewed the folder. I used Notepad to open the Deleted.dbx file & there was indeed a large amount of data there. I tried deleting the data but & ultimately ended up erasing the data and re-saving the file. It didn't seem to do anything to the size of the file.

The problem is that now when I look at my Inbox (which I didn't intentionally touch) I only see emails that have come in since I messed with that Deleted folder. All of my older emails are missing. The good news is that the Inbox.dbx still shows a large amount of data so I hope they can be recovered. My best guess is that I have changed the encoding into something that OE can't read. The readable OE folders show ISO encoding; when I re-saved the Deleted folder it didn't offer ISO so I tried ANSI. I have already tried resaving some test files in the other options offered under Notepad but no luck

Please, please tell me how can I recover my older Inbox items & get back to where I was this morning.

2. sekirt

sekirt

You may not be able to recover anything since OE is a database and you never, never, do what you did to database files.

You have some reading to do, here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

Also, you maintain a questionable practice if any of the default folders are used for long time storage of large amounts of emails (Inbox/Outbox/Sent Items/Deleted Items/Draft). OE is known for emails disappearing particularly from the Inbox. Custom folders should be used.

At this point, I would suggest you close OE. Then go to the store folders, using Windows Explorer and move the Deleted Items.DBX file to some other folder - I think that one is toast. When you open OE again, a new empty deleted items.dbx file will be created. That "might" even make your inbox emails open.

sekirt

3. MAXn3

MAXn3 Thread Starter

I know it was not smart; I thought the Deleted Items file wouldn't matter.

Question: what do you mean by " go to the store folders" ? I how to get to the Deleted Items.dbx file by using Win Explorer to go to Documents ... Local settings ...Identitities...OE and see the file. Is that what you meant? Would changing the name on the Deleted Items.dbx file work the same?

4. sekirt

sekirt

Yes, that is the place to go.

Yes, it would. However, you wanted to get the disk-space, and since that file is corrupted, I just figured move it (even delete to the recycle bin). Normally, renaming is a way to have it there for a situation where something goes wrong and you can just rename it back again to the original name. In this case, I don't think that file is of any use. (It's your choice, however - whatever makes you happy is OK with me).

sekirt

5. MAXn3

MAXn3 Thread Starter

I tried your solution but the Inbox did not recover the items before yesterday. Do any software programs like ScanDbx or similar offer any hope for this kind of problem? Surely there is some way to convert back into DBX language so it's readable.

6. sekirt

sekirt

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice