1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can Normat.dot from Word 2002 work in Word 2007 (Vista)?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hoffnagel, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hoffnagel

hoffnagel Thread Starter

I currently use an XP system, and Office XP (2002). I want to transfer and use my Normal.dot file from the XP system INTO a Vista PC and it's Office 2007.

Has anyone been successful doing this? Does it work? :cool:

2. caraewilton

caraewilton

What you can do is copy the normal.dot file to your new computer. Rename it, old template or something like that. Then make a short cut for this file on your desktop. When you want to create a document using this template, just double click on the short cut which will open up word 2007 in compatibility mode using the old template. If you do it this way, it does not matter where you save the file.

3. Aj_old

Aj_old

If I'm not mistaken in the 2007 Office the word template are not *.dot but *.dotx! So I think it would be easier to make a new template in 2007 format and use it!

4. caraewilton

caraewilton

Yes they are, but you can still use the old templates using the method I described.

5. Aj_old

Aj_old

I agree, but I think it would be better to make a new template with all new features and use it, but save the old Normal.dot (2002) for the any case!

6. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum.

Here is what you can do rename the file and copy it to the new PC. Open it within Word 2007 (which will convert it) and save it as normal.dotx on the desktop or somewhere. (make sure to change the file type to a 2007 format document template. Then search for (Windows Key +F) and replace your normal.dotx file with the one that Office preloads.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/731216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice