Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RMS-TITANIC

May I first say thank you for any assistance you might render. Recently I have been unable to access ANY of my pictures, videos, or music. They are all on a USB 5TB hard drive. Right before the problem started, I attempted to mirror my hard drives (I have Windows 10 Pro) unsuccessfully. In the process, I changed the drive to a "primary" drive where it was not previously. I believe this was the only change I made. Since then, I have been unable to access my pictures, video, or music files. I have attempted to recover them through various data recovery applications, and the only one that actually worked was "Data Rescue PC4" (which restored the majority of them but left the file names as random numbers in random folders). One thing I DID notice: while running "data Rescue PC4", I stopped the scan partially through, and examined what it had to say about the files. One thing was present on ALL the files: "Invalid Time". As I have said, I have used other data recovery software like Easeus Data Recovery Wizard, and after hours of deep scanning, they return the same unopenable multimedia.

One of my FIRST thoughts was 'ransomware', as my antivirus was down at the moment, but I have received NO demands for payment. A virus was the second thought, but files on the drive such as text files are completely unaffected. The only other things I can think of is the change to "primary", and I BELIEVE I attempted to change that drive to a "dynamic disk" to do the mirroring (though it has never showed up as a "dynamic disk"). I have reinstalled Windows 10 twice in an attempt to correct the error, but it STILL will not show the files. I have examined the ownership of the files, and it shows to be a system account ("S-whatever), so I tried taking ownership: still no success. Permissions are allowed for everyone.

I am usually VERY good at solving these through trial-and-error on my own, but THIS one has me stymied. The only thing I can think of is damage from a virus. But what is this "INVALID TIME" thing? I have searched ALL over the 'net and not found a reference to it. Most of the files seem to be the right size (a few showing as (4KB and such).

I have hundreds of GB's of pics. and media on this drive, and am DETERMINED to restore the originals because the only app. that DOES work on about 80% of them shoots them back to me with random gobbeldygook names in generic directories. Only (or mostly; some database files wouldn't open EITHER, and gave me a message about "permissions") media file seem to be affected.

I am despairing for a solution to this after trying pretty much EVERYTHING. I STILL believe it was a virus (as I said, my antivirus was down at the time). Does ANYBODY have a solution for this?

Again, thanks for any help you might provide.

If you believe it is a virus, then you can do this to check. Google for 'online scan' and it will come back the major brands like TrendMicro, Kaspersky, ESET, F-Secure, Bitdefender. These are stand alone virus removers which do not keep the signatures updated. Hence they are good only for one time use.
Download at least 3 of them.

RMS-TITANIC

Thanks for your replies. I ran a scan on all the affected folders I know of (Pictures, Videos, Music and WinCatalog Database) with a fully updated version of Bitdefender Total Security 2018 (I use Bitdefender because nearly all the sites I've visited rate it as either the best or nearly the best), and it found no virus on ANY of the affected files.

What I THINK is the key is that "INVALID TIME" that Data Rescue PC4 reported. It's apparently NOT the drive, as I saved an image to the affected pictures folder, and it showed up perfectly; also, I saved the recovered files from ANOTHER data recovery program to an ALTERNATE hard drive that had NOT been affected; none of the files recovered would work, EXACT same as the affected files. I DID notice at one point when I tried to access one affected file through Windows Explorer, I got an error message that read in part "File...(don't remember this part)...may be password protected". But it never asked me for any password.

I'm almost POSITIVE it's this "INVALID TIME" message, but I've looked up "INVALID TIME" on Yahoo and Google, and they give me NOTHING.

So, the question appears to be, "WHAT is 'INVALID TIME'?".

RMS-TITANIC

I THINK I MAY have the answer, but not exactly HOW to fix it...

I ran 'Data Rescue PC 4' again, and noticed that ALL the "INVALID TIME" errors came under "Date Modified". So what I THINK is the answer is, how do I modify the time Stamp on multiple files? I found a couple of webpages on how to do it, but was confused by the info.

This page appeared to tell how to do it:

https://superuser.com/questions/10426/windows-equivalent-of-the-linux-command-touch

But the whole thing about Powershell (I tried to switch to the "D:\Images" directory and it kept babbling on about incorrect syntax or some such) was too confusing for my 53-year-old mind.

I ran a couple of ransomware softwares on all the affected files and it found nothing on any of them.

So I think the answer is changing the timestamp, but I have NO idea how to do this on Windows 10.

plodr

Liz
I don't run Windows 10.

I also have NEVER changed a time stamp on anything.

RMS-TITANIC

I've figured out the problem, but NOT how to FIX it...

When I did whatever I did, it modified the "Date Accessed" from whatever the various original dates and times were to "October 8, 2017 12:10 A.M.. This is on ALL of the corrupted files. On SOME files (the video files from what I can see) the "Modified" date in some examples is 5 YEARS before the "created" date (one I just checked was "modified" in 2010 and "created" in 2015).

Presumably, whenever I screwed up whatever I did (changed the drive to primary or attempted to turn it into a "dynamic disk"), it was on October 8, 2017 at 12:10 A.M.. I have tried various timestamp programs to reset the "date accessed", and they reset the times, but the files STILL don't open.

"Data Rescue PC4" restores about 90-95% of ALL of the files, but it generates them as random numbers for the names, in generic folders ("JPG", "GIF", "PNG"), etc. The original filenames and their folders are LOST. Now, I can figure out GENERALLY which FOLDERS they should be in, but the NAMES...THAT'S the problem. There's NO way to correct all the names on what could be 100,000 files or more. The ONLY PREFERRED way I can see to correct this is to restore the ORIGINAL "Date Accessed" of the files-and I can't find ANY way to do that, either by software or on the 'net. I can ALTER the "Date Accessed", but that doesn't work. It looks like it HAS to be the ORIGINAL.

The only OTHER way I can see around this, is to copy the recovered files to the same directories as the corrupted files, and use the size or date created to clue me in on their original names, but that DOUBLES the size of all the collective files. I mean, I can put them all on recordable Blu-Rays, but I'd MUCH rather get the ORIGINALS Back.

Is there ANY way to restore the ORIGINAL "Date Accessed", or is that just a hopeless effort?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts